Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Is there any reason to built 2nd ISS? Why do we need it? The current ISS that has been orbiting the Earth since 1998 does completely nothing. Of course, astronauts carry out some research, but what's the point? Do you know how much money it costs to maintain this huge spacecraft. The government had better spend this money on solving more important issues in space exploration.

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
Is there any reason to built 2nd ISS? Why do we need it? The current ISS that has been orbiting the Earth since 1998 does completely nothing. Of course, astronauts carry out some research, but what's the point? Do you know how much money it costs to maintain this huge spacecraft. The government had better spend this money on solving more important issues in space exploration.
That literally means we should not even fund space research.

Reactions: Catastrophe
When will a 2nd ISS be built?
Hopefully never. Hopefully the 'Voyager Station' will be the next great project for humans in space. It's on the internet and can be found by doing a search for 'Voyager Station'. It looks like we are finally starting to think in terms of getting away from government only manned projects at infinite expense over their expansionless, growthless, runs to something that will eventually pay for itself and really be a base beginning element for life's (for energy's) expansion and growth in space.

We never should have thought that anything less than a '2001: A Space Odyssey' type of station would be the cheap way to reach an opening of space. It hasn't been cheap, it has been infinitely costly, because we aren't there and it never pointed in any way toward getting any of the rest of us out there, the paying rest of us, the would be energetic frontier-nova rest of us. Money is a token of energy, and, being one and the same thing, time is money. We've lost far too much of both energy (money) and time (money) to the government's blackholes of government only manned projects in space. Government forbade -- through its sheer infinite weight of government laid and piled chains on the rest of us -- the rest of us out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCooper96
Apr 23, 2021
Visit site
The ISS has surely served science well and should continue to do so in the near future-however it simply does not capture the general public's attention in a way that earlier space projects, such as Apollo , the Hubble telescope and others have Perhaps future space stations would do better as joint efforts not just involving international co operation but also private companies.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
"The ISS has surely served science well and should continue to do so in the near future-however it simply does not capture the general public's attention in a way that earlier space projects, such as Apollo , the Hubble telescope and others have Perhaps future space stations would do better as joint efforts not just involving international co operation but also private companies."

I think this was the one interrupted by the chinese spam?

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
Starship makes the ISS obsolete. One Starship will have an equivalent internal volume of the entire ISS space station. Plus It is is fairly easy to imagine creating a space station that creates spin gravity once Starship is operational. It's kind of like the Lunar gateway, why continue with an obsolete plan...

Catastrophe

Starship makes the ISS obsolete. One Starship will have an equivalent internal volume of the entire ISS space station. Plus It is is fairly easy to imagine creating a space station that creates spin gravity once Starship is operational. It's kind of like the Lunar gateway, why continue with an obsolete plan...
I think this is the post displaced by the chinese.

May 3, 2021
Visit site
That literally means we should not even fund space research.
And why should we?

I love space as much as any other wannabe astronaut.

But space is a massive waste of money, a sinkhole. There is no profit there, and we probably can never get heavy payloads past the moon because of chemical propellant issues.

May 3, 2021
Visit site
Starship has had 100% explosion record. No one in their right mind would fly in it unless you want to die.

Starship uses Methane fuel. Might as well be the stone age.

Musk is a liar full of lies and propaganda. He has done nothing. Will do nothing. And will soon be revealed to be a fraud while China actually does make progress.

I think of China as a peer competitor and am warning you Musk is a loser. Not rooting for China.

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Starship has had 100% explosion record. No one in their right mind would fly in it unless you want to die.
So did the "Saturn" project, among many other government rocket projects -- U. S. and Soviet and others -- to begin with. I want them to keep on failing with the big boys until the failures start ending in successes or they find another way to deal in massive and bulk massive freight.

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:

IG2007

But space is a massive waste of money, a sinkhole. There is no profit there, and we probably can never get heavy payloads past the moon because of chemical propellant issues.
Space research is not a place for money-loving capitalists to exploit. It is a place for the human curiosity to discover and explore and quench it. No more comments.

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
When will a 2nd ISS be built?
Construction is happening now - China's Tiangong space station will complete its first stage of assembly in orbit with a mass of about one-fifth the mass of the ISS. Yet it will likely evolve into something much larger. Tiangong is modular type of space station "3rd generation modular", ready-made for expansion.

Anybody who has ever visited the grim charred remains of America's Skylab space station in that Australian museum near where it crashed to earth in the Outback can bear witness to the fact that the re-entry of some space junk - like the falling Chinese scrap-metal from Tiangong's launch that our media are now carping about - can't hold a competitive space-racing nation down.

Between the construction of the Tiangong station and the Chinese orbiter flying around the Red Planet above the Perseverance rover and Ingenuity helicopter I am worried that if NASA / JPL / ESA ever does indeed put a human crew on Mars our people will have to bring their passports and go through Chinese Customs inspection when we get there.

Nov 3, 2020
Visit site

Maybe that's the problem? The existing ISS is already morally and physically outdated and its functionality is surely lagging behind modern needs. This problem will be solved by the creation of a new ISS, which will make it possible to use it not only for observing space and the Earth, but also for other purposes. For example, as a springboard for launching spacecraft into open space.

Reactions: CCooper96

Catastrophe

IG, according to the English language there is only one Universe. I refuse to allow contamination of my home language. (There is enough already, and that I abhor. So, I am a a dinosaur - then I die as a complaining old dinosaur, with my self respect intact).
I can stomach "universe(s)" in a discussion of alternatives, but never Universes.

Cat :)

IG2007

IG, according to the English language there is only one Universe. I refuse to allow contamination of my home language. (There is enough already, and that I abhor. So, I am a a dinosaur - then I die as a complaining old dinosaur, with my self respect intact).
I can stomach "universe(s)" in a discussion of alternatives, but never Universes.

Wrong post in wrong thread, it seems, Cat. :)

Catastrophe

IG, "Wrong post in wrong thread, it seems, Cat." ??

Regarding my previous statement, perhaps I should have elaborated a little. From Korzybski, you know that the map is not the territory. The map is the verbal diarrhoea that we have to contend with. That verbal diarrhoea will perpetuate ad nauseum in general. But, in science, if the words keep changing meaning, then there will be serious problems.

P.S. Of course there will be changes in definition, and new definitions, arising from time to time. That is, of course, absolutely necessary.

Reactions: IG2007

Latest posts