3D printer for some space stuff

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
I`ve recently found an interesting article about 3D printer which is used in aerospace area. Have you heard anything about that? This machine allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing.

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
I`ve recently found an interesting article about 3D printer which is used in aerospace area. Have you heard anything about that? This machine allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing.

Reactions: ThePatriotBeast
Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, I heard about this printer. I think we are talking about the same technology. I saw an interview with Laura Edison, Skyrora Executive Director, where she mentioned one of Skyrora's technologies. It was long before the additive machine was presented, but I got interested in this company. As a result, I make it a habit to check Skyrora updates every week and recently saw a new section on their website. I wonder, is there any rocket that was manufactured with this technology?

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, I heard about this printer. I think we are talking about the same technology. I saw an interview with Laura Edison, Skyrora Executive Director, where she mentioned one of Skyrora's technologies. It was long before the additive machine was presented, but I got interested in this company. As a result, I make it a habit to check Skyrora updates every week and recently saw a new section on their website. I wonder, is there any rocket that was manufactured with this technology?
There was a 3D printed rocket a few years ago from a company down under. - https://indaily.com.au/news/science...alian-firm-builds-3d-printed-titanium-rocket/ Or this one -https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/25/new-zealand-launches-space-race-3d-printed-rocket

Reactions: CCooper96

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
I found the proof that additive manufacturing services works perfectly. The third stage for
rocket XL rocket and found out this rocket engine was made with the usage of aditive technology. I cannot believe that such technology like rocket engines can be made with the help of 3d printer. I`ve never thought that 3d printing couldn't be used for such purposes. However, as I see, the final material is tough enough to be used under such pressure

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I found the proof that additive manufacturing services works perfectly. The third stage for
rocket XL rocket and found out this rocket engine was made with the usage of additive technology. I cannot believe that such technology like rocket engines can be made with the help of 3d printer. I`ve never thought that 3d printing couldn't be used for such purposes. However, as I see, the final material is tough enough to be used under such pressure
I haven't found any information or commentary from Skyrora engineers, so let me suggest that the main material for 3d printing with this technology is plastic. Perhaps Skyprint 1 allows using different types of plastic simultaneously. What do you think?

Reactions: serhiy1635

Catastrophe

My question in post #7 was, in fact already covered in the Q&A section of the reference in post #3:

"Tracie Prater: Ultimately I envision a “one-stop shop” manufacturing system or even a suite of manufacturing capabilities that will be deployed on Gateway or in habitats on the lunar surface. The system will have an extensive library of parts which can be printed, an automated inspection capability, metals manufacturing, polymer manufacturing, and post-processing (like heat treatment and an endmill). The technologies in this system will be those we have successfully vetted on ISS. ISS is and will continue to be our testbed for exploration – it’s such a unique, incredible platform and the only place you can test systems in the extended microgravity environment with crew." My italics

Cat :)

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
I haven't found any information or commentary from Skyrora engineers, so let me suggest that the main material for 3d printing with this technology is plastic. Perhaps Skyprint 1 allows using different types of plastic simultaneously. What do you think?
I guess you are right. This 3D printer can use different types of plastic simultaneously in orfer to meke strong enough material that can be used for some rocket engines.

Jun 15, 2021
Visit site
It's very cool to use 3D printer technology for space purposes. Now there are many places where this quiet technology is used: medicine, mechanical engineering, dentistry, etc., and now also space. This is very cool, it will help to facilitate and speed up the preparation process for exploration and space exploration. So I'm glad I heard about this news.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

3D printers are great, but what about the raw materials? They are not just lying around everywhere ready to use. Some will need quite bulky/sophisticated processing equipment before they can be fed into the printer.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
It's very cool to use 3D printer technology for space purposes. Now there are many places where this quiet technology is used: medicine, mechanical engineering, dentistry, etc., and now also space. This is very cool, it will help to facilitate and speed up the preparation process for exploration and space exploration. So I'm glad I heard about this news.
Yeah, I was surprised, when I got to know that 3D printing technology is used in manufacturing of Rocket engines and in some technology that is used airplanes

Reactions: Misha Marchuk

Catastrophe

Sorry, I understand perfectly the wonderful advantagse of 3D printing here on Earth, but how do the raw materials get into the printer in off-world situations?

If we have to ship the raw materials off-world, might we not just as easily ship the end product?

Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
I also tried to make some models on a 3D printer. Not so long ago I got a Creality model in order to try to print something for fun at home. Found this printer in an article and I think it's a cool investment because it allows you to explore new possibilities.

Latest posts