A question on the Casimir Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

siromar

I understand that two parallel non-polarized plates placed within a small distance from one another will fall under the Casimir field, causing an attraction between them. My question is, would the effect persist if a bridge existed between the two plates? In other words, if the plates were separated by a 1 nm bridge keeping them apart, would the field continue to attract them?

O

origin

siromar":2z9wfawl said:
I understand that two parallel non-polarized plates placed within a small distance from one another will fall under the Casimir field, causing an attraction between them. My question is, would the effect persist if a bridge existed between the two plates? In other words, if the plates were separated by a 1 nm bridge keeping them apart, would the field continue to attract them?

My limited understanding of the effect is that yes the casimir effect would still occurr. The effect is a result of virtual particle 'popping' into existence in space and the resulting difference in pressure on the plates, therefore a bridge would have no affect. A rigid bridge could prevent any defection of the plates but it would not interfer with the actual casimir affect itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts