ALL STOP

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StarRider1701

drwayne":9tvl92zz said:
"All Stop might include a silent, unspoken command to reverse the engines and come to a stop"

If it includes this, then the silent command you refer to will start to intimately involve the "with respect
to what". Leaving things unspoken and assumed is NOT the way orders are given. There is a very
definite reason why orders to the helm are supposed to be clear and repeated back.

Most orders contain unspoken commands. This is the reason why recruits go through Basic Training and then later Technical type training for ones specialty. These unspoken commands are normally common sense things that most take for granted. HINT: common sense is often lacking around here, especially when nit-picking old SciFi.

Example. "Open Fire!" Seems simple enough. Does that mean I aim at fellow soldier lost and shoot him? NO! "Aim at the enemy soldiers and 'Open Fire' trying to hit one or two of them!" If commanders had to explain every little detail of every order, War would become impossible! No one would ever even manage to accomplish the initial deployment!
Commands, of necessity must be clear and consise and as short as possible. That is why soldiers, airmen, sailors, whatever are TRAINED to know what to do when hearing the commands. Being a veteran of the US Air Force, I am personally aware that most commanders HATE having to explain orders. They fully expect you to know exactly what to do when they say "Jump!" After all, they've spent a lot of time and money training you.

H

HRacct

StarRider,

Speaking of your command, "Open Fire." That would of course be better then the command to "Fire at Will," and unfortunately be named, Will! :lol: :idea:

J

JonClarke

The script writers relied heavily on nautical terminology. "All stop" is a bridge order that would have been familiar to the writers (and the viewers) from films and programs about ships at sea. I doubt they they though through through the implications viz a viz spaceflight. Most SF writers of the age did the same.

Of course it does not make trying to find an internally consistent explanation less fun. :)

B

bdewoody

What does an aircraft commander say to the co-pilot? Cut power? Or maybe reverse engines. In space if stopping is possible then it seems that reverse engines would be the proper command. However one must realise it will take as much power to stop as it did to get to that speed. Very robust engines needed and unlimited fuel. More need for that unobtanium in Avatar.

H

HRacct

bdewoody":rr8kfjae said:
. Very robust engines needed and unlimited fuel. More need for that unobtanium in Avatar.

I like the name of that mineral, unobtainium. I guess that was why they had trouble getting it, it was unobtainable!!!

Reminds me of one of my fav characters in Rocky and Bulwinkle Show, (outside of the 2 stars that is), Boris Badenov. Because he was always just bad enough.

D

drwayne

We have been using that term for many years in industry, before it was cool even.

:)

J

JonClarke

"All stop" is a nautical term pure and simple. "Star Trek" script writers used nautical imageryextensively in their vision of the future. Partly perhaps because it was already established in SF (particularly the SF of the giolden age) and perhaps to establish a bridge for the viewer between the ship of space and nautical themes from books, films and TV progams about life at sea to familiar most of the initial views. It makes sense to do this, as it allows the viewer's imagination to fill in the details without having to specifcally create them. The writers probably did not think (or care) abo

Of course this does not make it less fun to try and find an internally consistent explanation! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts