An opinion of an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

najab

I <i>think</i> this came up before the Uplink crash. I agree that it does sound a bit like "feeling that heat", but it would be <b>very</b> unusual for a CDR to make a call down to the ground without preceding it with "Houston". That is elementary radio procedure - note that even Lovell said "<i>Houston</i>, we've had a problem."<p>Also, "feeling that heat" provides no useful information. If Husband was truly concerned from earlier in the reentry, he would have radioed down something more descriptive - and useful - than that cryptic comment.</p>

T

thinice

The author of that site was here with his opinion before the board crashed last summer.<br /><br />I still wonder, if shuttle commander made some comment that was not properly understood, why nobody at mission control asked to repeat it in 40 seconds or so...

T

thinice

Basically he was playing with tempo and pitch of that recording at the time, persistently trying to "prove" that Husband's words were nothing else but "feelin' that heat".

X

x24val

Rick Husband wasn't a robot. <br /><br />Many, many professional to the core aircraft pilots have uttered disquieting words in the face of possible death.<br /><br />If NASA had transcribed Rick's words as I hear them...you'd have never questioned.<br /><br />Despite much support, I've let this issue go....other work to do. I did post new material on the "Question of Perception" page back several months ago. As someone at NASA actually wove in Rick's words to the "tire pressure" transmissions.<br /><br />chris<br />www.chrisvalentines.com<br />

F

fangsheath

It always seemed apparent to me that the words uttered at that point were "feelin' the heat." It is also quite apparent to me that it was an interrupted transmission, we are only hearing part of it. I think Husband was well aware that things were not as they should have been by this time, and was devoting virtually all his attention to his instruments. This plus the com dropouts explains, I believe, why we heard so little from him during this period. <br /><br />It is well to note that there was a considerable interval between the explosion on Apollo 13 and the call down from the spacecraft (initally by Swigert I believe), "Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here." I estimate at least 30 seconds from the flight loops (it's actually at least 2 minutes between the time the capcom makes the request for the cryo stir and the call down) . When you have a problem onboard, you focus on it and how you can deal with it, not on talking to the ground about it. Husband knew exactly what he could do and what he couldn't do about what was happening. I have no doubt that he remained calm, highly focused, and hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts