Antimatter mystery solved

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>There are two different ways to look at it. One is that the laws we are familiar with are correct and there are unseen MACHOs or as yet unmonitored CDM that have gravitational mass to complement the observed baryon mass to account for the flat rotation curves. This camp says Newton/Einstein is right up to cosmological distances if you can add in the unseen mass.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />I would personally tend to fall into the MACHO dark matter camp (iron/nickel sun camp actually) as opposed to a MOND/MOG oriented approach. I also think that current flows through the galaxy play a significant role in the movement patterns of galaxies that is not typically recognized by the mainstream. I do believe that MOG oriented theories are at least as viable as any "non baryonic" brand of "dark matter" theory however.<br /><br />It seems to me that the annihilation point of the positron must be very close (in time and space) to the emission point of the positron or we would expect to observe a much broader spectrum of gamma ray emission patterns, both higher and lower than 511 kev, not a spike at 511 kev. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

A

ariesr

<i>Hmm. Our national science establishment isn't investing in many new colliders, and FermiLab will be shut down in the next several years. Unless several dedicated colliders are built, this is not possible. There is no production capacity. </i><br /><br />Perhaps this is the case in the usa, but not in europe.<br /><br />http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

P

publiusr

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The situation is grim for physics research, but we don't actually need accelerators at all to get the antimatter we need. We can collect it from our own magnetosphere, or even Jupiter's magnetosphere. Of course, we could also get Congress to fund some colliders! I'm still annoyed that Congress cancelled the SSC in Texas. That was the start of our downfall in high energy physics research. Now, Europe is surging ahead of us. Anyway, it might be better to produce, collect and store antimatter in space, rather than on Earth. Then, we don't have to worry about storing it through launch from Earth. The natural vacuum of space and the low levels of acceleration encountered in space make the storage of antimatter easier in space than on Earth. Antimatter Space Propulsion at Penn State University (LEPS) Science@NASA: Reaching for the stars Centauri-dreams.org: A Provocative Antimatter Strategy Space.com: Antimatter Power: Reaching for Deep Space NRTS: Overview of the High Performance Antiproton Trap (HiPAT) Experiment NTRS: RF Stabilization for Storage of Antiprotons <br />Posted by richalex</DIV></p><p>You have a good list here. Nice research.<br /></p>

A

alokmohan

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Yes, Michael, it does say that lightning causes gamma ray bursts and I do not dispute that at all. HOWEVER, the .511 MeV signature of positron-electron annihilation is what we are talking about here, and this article does not mention it as occurring in lightning storms. Two different things. <br />Posted by billslugg</DIV>I&nbsp;&nbsp; hope&nbsp;&nbsp; we&nbsp; bother&nbsp; less of&nbsp; antimatter.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts