Are Solid rockets out of vogue?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

najab

><i>I read that NASA is considering an upgraded Shuttle SRB for launching the CEV. I definitely don't like this idea. </i><p>Until very recently I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. However, after giving it some thought, I've come to appreciate the sheer brilliance of this idea. The SRB is man-rated, the only million-pound plus booster that currently has this designation. And it deserves it's man-rating, it is a soild (and therefore very simple), plus it has full redundancy for the main systems. With the payload and/or crew sitting on top of the booster, an escape system becomes much more feasible, probably the only failure mode that wouldn't be escapable would be an complete guidance failure directly off the pad.<p>Most importantly, it exists <b>now</b> and has a demonstrated reliability that is enviable - 224 launched with 1 failure.</p></p>

N

najab

I was thinking about this. Don't blow the side of the SRB, separate the vehicle and topmost SRB segment from the rest of the booster. The bottom 3 (or 4) segments will be open at both ends and so have little net thrust, while the top segment is blasting the vehicle away from the bottom of the booster.<p>After a second or two, fire the escape rocket and drop the still-attached SRB segment. It's not a pretty idea, but it just might expand the abort region.</p>

B

bobvanx

It'd be thrusting without a nozzle, so it'd be awfully tepid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts