Are we part of something bigger?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi.. I am astralliquid.. I am not him..he is not me...lol..In my context, dropping the theory does not necessary means stopping space exploration at all. It means going into space with the intention to find the next asteriod that wil hit us, the cure for diseases and everthing related to building a better Earth. The time, energy, resource and money saved from even thinking of intergalatic, aliens, expanding universe, etc should all be channel to the potato distribution analogy by one poster.There will and always be overlapping argument that if we don't study what is black hole or the universe, we will not find solutions to human health but the point here is, we should have the concept saving Earth first from scientist to politicians, from general public to&nbsp;the childrens around the world. Hence I will still stick to, yes "Drop the Big Bang Theory" to&nbsp;draw the line clearer for this discussion.&nbsp;Just take this discussion to&nbsp;a very macro&nbsp;level. Imagine there is no such curiousity instilled in&nbsp;human race at all to begin with. Would&nbsp;we be doing and studying things differently? Or&nbsp;willEearth&nbsp;be a&nbsp;better place&nbsp;much earlier&nbsp;because of our focused effort?Anyways, please don't&nbsp;make the tone of this thread like an arguement, no&nbsp;one will be right, we are all just trying to cure our philopsohical mind and have a nice chat.&nbsp; <br />Posted by astralliquid</DIV></p><p>So, can I conclude that it is your opinion that world would be much better off if Stephen Hawking crawled out of his wheel chair, forgot about black holes and spent time digging potatoes ?<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

Wolf873

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This conversation is really philisophical/polital. Ask the Astronomer isn't really the best place, IMHO, but as long as we're driving off the rails here.It has been shown time and time again that if space or science has it's budget cut, those cuts do not end up in the places you suggest. <strong>Instead, the money is most often completely wasted</strong>. Now if the world's political systems would put the resources in the places you suggest, I could almost agree to a point. However, what it usually does is line somebody's pockets, <strong>so I'd rather fight to preserve some of our expenditures for science</strong>. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Yes, that's sadly true. I also agree about your last point, it would be much more useful in that respect.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>*by the way, I didn't wanted to make another topic about this, but what is this "2012 Comet" stuff I read about, some sort of comet heading towards Earth?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#3366ff"><em>The most merciful thing in this world is the human mind's inability to correlate all its contents.</em></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Yes, that's sadly true. I also agree about your last point, it would be much more useful in that respect.&nbsp;*by the way, I didn't wanted to make another topic about this, but what is this "2012 Comet" stuff I read about, some sort of comet heading towards Earth? <br />Posted by Wolf873</DIV><br /><br />It's BS. There's a long thread on it in "The Unexplained" Rather than rehash pages of refutation, take a look there. If I can find the thread, I'll bump it to the top of the front page there. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

astralliquid

It is begining sound more political than philosophical in my opinion. <br /><br />My intention is to hear from the experts a scientific view of a simple philosophy <br />that "humanity will never be able comprehend the larger part of universe because it is way larger <br />to be relevant to us".<br /><br />Before we dwell more into policy making and the money goes where, I will try to make this more relevant to Ask the Astromoner.<br /><br />So, Ask the Astromoner : if my philsophy mind says that "humanity for all its scientific advancement, will never find the truth to our existence, and humanity have accepted this fact, what can we do that we have not been doing?"<br /><br />Another way to think of this :<br />Could we go into WORLD BUILDING AGE for another 500 years, before we really venture into SPACE AGE?&nbsp; <br />i.e (not accurate) DINOSAUR AGE, ICE AGE, DARK AGE, MEDIEVAL AGE, INFORMATION AGE, (WORLDBUILDING AGE??), SPACE AGE.

A

astralliquid

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So, can I conclude that it is your opinion that world would be much better off if Stephen Hawking crawled out of his wheel chair, forgot about black holes and spent time digging potatoes ? <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>I have great respect for him. He must continue to do what he is doing.</p><p>But I am just fantasizing what happens if it was Stephen Hawking that tell the world to stop looking further because there is nothing there.&nbsp; </p>

P

Philotas

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It is begining sound more political than philosophical in my opinion. My intention is to hear from the experts a scientific view of a simple philosophy that "humanity will never be able comprehend the larger part of universe because it is way larger to be relevant to us".Before we dwell more into policy making and the money goes where, I will try to make this more relevant to Ask the Astromoner.So, Ask the Astromoner : if my philsophy mind says that "humanity for all its scientific advancement, will never find the truth to our existence, and humanity have accepted this fact, what can we do that we have not been doing?"Another way to think of this :Could we go into WORLD BUILDING AGE for another 500 years, before we really venture into SPACE AGE?&nbsp; i.e (not accurate) DINOSAUR AGE, ICE AGE, DARK AGE, MEDIEVAL AGE, INFORMATION AGE, (WORLDBUILDING AGE??), SPACE AGE. <br />Posted by astralliquid</DIV></p><p>To find the answer to that, we'll have to keep moving. Anyhow, there is no reason to believe that there are other universes; nothing points in that direction AFAIK.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts