Ares I: 4 New Launch Abort System Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kyle_baron

<p>I was just looking at the Ares I Evolution, and noticed 4 new versions of the LAS (Launch Abort System) off to the right of this picture:</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ares_I_Evolution.jpg</p><p>This is from July 2008.&nbsp; Does anyone have any information on these 4 new LAS?&nbsp; Which one is favored?&nbsp; Any savings in mass?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4"><strong></strong></font></p> </div>

T

trailrider

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I was just looking at the Ares I Evolution, and noticed 4 new versions of the LAS (Launch Abort System) off to the right of this picture:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ares_I_Evolution.jpgThis is from July 2008.&nbsp; Does anyone have any information on these 4 new LAS?&nbsp; Which one is favored?&nbsp; Any savings in mass? <br />Posted by kyle_baron</DIV></p><p>While I don't have any firm information, I would suspect that the one that is furthest to the right is the most recent (or at least closer to it than the others, starting on the left).&nbsp; Designs evolve through a series of reviews and revisions, from concepts (shown on Wikipedia) through Preliminary Design Review (PDR), Delta-PDR (incorporating changes...the Delta...meaning change...that evolve as better data comes in), through design and testing, to Critical Design Review (CDR), through Initial Operational Capability (IOC) in which flight hardware is "finalized".&nbsp; Even after IOC, there can be design changes due to refined test data, or due to changes in conditions, or capabilities that are decided upon.</p><p>Not sure if much, if any weight savings has occurred, but I'd bet on it, if for no other reason than the need to keep margins for incorporation of the damping system (whatever that turns out to be) for the Thrust Oscillation (TO)&nbsp;problem in the 1st Stage.&nbsp; Hopefully, they don't cut "muscle" along with "fat"!</p><p>The escape system rocket motor recently underwent testing out a Aerojet-Sacramento, so we are, hopefully progressing along those lines.&nbsp; Be it noted, however, that the TO situation/solution won't be addressed until Delta-PDR sometime next year!</p><p>Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra!<br /></p>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I was just looking at the Ares I Evolution, and noticed 4 new versions of the LAS (Launch Abort System) off to the right of this picture:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ares_I_Evolution.jpgThis is from July 2008.&nbsp; Does anyone have any information on these 4 new LAS?&nbsp; Which one is favored?&nbsp; Any savings in mass? <br />Posted by kyle_baron</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I believe the&nbsp;8th version&nbsp;from the right;&nbsp; one of those is the latest version.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts