Argument by analogy

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
I recall two mechanisms for the benefits of inflation.
1) Starting out smaller allows information to be moved brfore it gets too big.
2) Expanding more allows bumps to even out more.
1) Inflation theory itself occurs around t=1E-35 sec. so what I read is that it separates any two regions (points) so quickly that they don't have the ability to establish equilibrium (not that they would). If it were two hot rocks, then as you say, being close together would help even the temperature. But quantum fluctuations, apparently, are just the opposite. Putting a guy and a gal on Halmark closer together is how every show gets things right. But imagine two 2-year olds in a tantrum state; the farther apart the better. ;) [Cat: Analogy rating...??? (1 to 10)[

2) Yes. If photons can stretch why not bumps, too, I guess.

Reactions: billslugg
Inflation expanded so quickly the hot spots could not even out. Yet, we needed to invoke inflation to explain why the CMBR is now so even. I'm confused!

This paper may explain it a little, hopefully more with your background.

Prior to Inflation, as I see it, the distances were so close that a general thermal equilibrium would have existed. The exponential rate of expansion would hold that equilibrium, and perhaps smooth it even further since it would have on-going quantum fluctuations.

I'm guessing that if the expansion rate was weak, like today, the quantum fluctuation density would be greater than what is observed.

The paper does explain how the accelerated rate for expansion produced a flatter universe.

So the accelerated rate of expansion, greater than c, "baked in" a certain amount of anisotropy so that what little was left after equilibration was able to satisfy what we see today.

Quantum fluctuations occurred
Thermal equilibration took them almost all away.
Inflation gave them back.

Now to read the paper. Takeaways:
1) Inflation solves the flatness, horizon and magnetic monopole problem.
2) It provides an explanation for the initial conditions that created galaxies.
3) The "Horizon Problem" is what we talked about where the different areas are not in communication with each other.

Magnetic monopoles confound me. In electricity school they told us you could have one of those. All magnetic field lines being continuous loops by definition.

Last edited:

Latest posts