Ascension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shadow735

Okay I am posting this in sci fi mainly because it is a question more fanciful.<br /><br />Based on the laws of physics, how likely and possible would it be for a human to ascend and transform into pure energy?<br />:As depicted in Stargate SG1:<br /><br />Please keep this discussion on the subject and keep any religion discussion out of it.<br />I want to know peoples thoughts in relation to the human species and possabilities of us evolving to a point where we could transform into pure energy or the possability of it even being possible.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

Hmm.<br /><br />I'd say doubtful at best. Essentially you're looking at an organism that is matter and electrical impulses fueled by chemical interactions, somehow breaking it down into energy while retaining an organization that contains it's fundamental coherence, and then causing it to remain as a quasi-stable plasma.<br /><br />I just plain don't see it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

B

billslugg

shadow735<br /><br />It is entirely possible for a human to be converted into energy. The only mechanisms I am familiar with are fusion, fission and pair annihilation. Fusion and fission do not result in the elimination of any particles, you still have the same number of particles but they are just arranged differently. This would not be good for you ascension needs.<br /><br />The only method I am familiar with to completely eliminate particles is pair annihilation. You combine a positron and an electron and you get a .511 MeV photon. Not applicable to ascension because humans have no antiparticles in them.<br /><br />I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it, it is just that I am uneducated as to them.<br /><br />BTW - an average human converted into energy would produce an amount of energy equivalent to many very large atomic bombs. <br />One human would also equal about 10 years of US gasoline consumption. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

E

etavaunt

And once you were "Energy" I would have thought your problems were just beginning.<br /><br />The universe is harsh on "Energy" , lots of different places to avoid, like, every large magnetic field for one.

A

astralith

The notion is hard to discuss without some religious reference because that's what SG-1's writers were trying to convey (giving a sci-fi spin to the mythos of heaven/nirvana).<br /><br />I think it's possible but not in the way the story presents it. BTW I think Star Trek's V'Ger finale was another example of Ascension. Also I think the Monolith makers in 2001 thru 3001 were of this kind of being.<br /><br />I recommend looking up Omega Point Theory too which I find myself believing a bit (try Wikipedia)<br /><br />It takes an understanding of hyperspace physics, efficient energy conversion and pattern retention (they can freeze light in the lab now, you know), and quantum particle sciences that aren't all that far off IMHO. Trying to figure these things out now is like getting a monkey to understand quantum physics.<br /><br />Imagine were you can go after matter is easily replaced by quanta traping force fields, and then you find out how to project those fields into hyperspacial realms or multiple particle-size universes.<br /><br />If it's possible then I'm sure it's being done now in the multiverse or the future of our universe. Aqain, I feel religion has to touch this issue. Can humans already be the denizens of a place beyond space-time that we primitives call heaven?

K

kelvinzero

We have all seen how cheesy SF looks for a ray or a particle or an effect to do far more complicated things than we can possibly expect.<br /><br />Matter is energy, just in a complicated form. What ever you do with energy, if it is alive it is going to be complicated, giving it many vulnerabilities.<br /><br />If you want a hard SF sort of ascention, converting to information is much more reasonable, joining some sort of intergalactic network run on nodes that we have not met yet. Yes, you would only exist on a 'computer', but that computer could already exist in so much of the universe you could consider it a part of the fabric of the universe. It could exist as dark matter, or moon sized brains floating between stars or even within stars.<br /><br />Since you could tap into all the devices of that network you could have all the god like powers you like. Travelling at the speed of light, and even splitting your conciousness. Causing suns to blast planets at whim, causing swarms of nano assemblers to descend and reform planets as armadas of ships or 'resurrect' any person or planet that you have managed to get a close look at.

S

shadow735

They already did that, they were called the replicators. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

K

Kalstang

I think that what you are all forgetting is that the Ascended Beings in SG-1 also lived on another plane of existance. So I think that it's quite possible that what they saw could be just a part of them. ie half here, half there type deal. In essense creating a type of opening between each of the planes where by the natural laws of this universe would be at best bent. Because the rules may be different in that other plane of existance it is possible to exist as energy. <br /><br />This is of course all assumptions of what or even if it is possible to "ascend". I think that it is possible myself. Though it will take many many generations more than likely to achieve such a state. As the Asgard or Nox would say - We are too young. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ffff00"><p><font color="#3366ff">I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer.</font> <br /><font color="#ff0000">"Imagination is more important then Knowledge" ~Albert Einstien~</font> <br /><font color="#cc99ff">Guns dont kill people. People kill people</font>.</p></font><p><font color="#ff6600">Solar System</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.