Asteriods

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jurgens

"<br />What? Don't listen to stevehw33, he has an attitude of a 2-year old. You're free to conduct yourself in any manner that does not conflict with "Terms of Service". And furthermore, stevehw33 isn't a good source of information."<br /><br />Yeah your definetly a repotoire of information yourself Jatslo... Ehhrmm I mean Factual Information....<br /><br /><br />for the most part, almost everything stevehw is saying is completely correct about comets. I know this because I myself am currently taking an Astronomy course, and I have discussed many of these issues with my professor.<br /><br /><br />Ohh and if anything, your the one who has an attitude of a 2 year old, you keep on spouting out completely false information and even when people correct you, you still keep on doing it. It's as if you have some kind of campaign to disinform people about science. All you talk about is PsuedoScience...

J

jatslo

JurgenS,<br /><br />Have you seen the stevehw33 bashing thread yet? You might want to do some research before you jump on his bandwagon, he's bad medicine; otherwise, you might find yourself in a similar situation ;o)<br /><br />stevehw33 dissipation comment on comets was not the source of my vent, so please stop putting words in my mouth.<br /><br />Thank You in Advance,

N

najab

><i>Have you seen the stevehw33 bashing thread yet?</i><p>If you're referring to the thread which I think you are, it <b>wasn't</b> about bashing steve. Just about getting him to play fair. And I'll say this, his posts contribute a <b>lot</b> more to the board than any of yours that I've seen so far.</p>

N

nexium

Comets and asteroids shed some mass when they come within about a billion killometers of our sun. Typically comets produce a tail, sometimes two tails, but some comets and most asteroids do not have enough volitiles to make a noticeable tail. There are a very few bodies which don't fit well as either comets or asteroids and opinions vary as to how these few should be classifed. Typically when a comet or asteroid collides with a speck of dust or a molecule of a volitile, more matter is lost as ejecta than is gained. Collisions, are likely rare beyond the orbit of Neptune, but gains are more probable as most things are thought to be slower beyond Neptune. The more massive comets and asteroids have enough gravity to attract a very close particle, but typically it is a case of collision not attraction. It is generally agreed that bodies smaller than the largest comets lose mass rather than gain mass with rare exceptions in our present solar system which has mostly been swept clean compaired to 4 billion years ago. Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts