asteroidal questien

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

ben89

hi sirs& mames<br /><br />sho was wonderin if a supersize'me asteroid hit earth/ wouldit effect the earths orbit/

B

ben89

how bout its spin or magnetic feild/ could an astroid change it

Q

qso1

An asteroid on the order of one the size of Ceres would be more than enough to do the job. However, no asteroids that size have been detected heading our way and Ceres is in a stable orbit, no threat to us. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

Just outside neptune lot of asteroids hanging,as SDC article suggests today.

Q

qso1

Are any known to be on an orbit that would intersect ours? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

B

ben89

ty qso1/ u say ceres could mess with teh spin/ just how big is cerse/ what would u compare it with/ like the size of america/

Q

qso1

Ceres is close to 700 miles in diameter. This would mean it is about a third the size of America diameter wise. But keep in mind Ceres is in a stable orbit within the asteroid belt where nothing larger is present that could deflect it on a course towards Earth.<br /><br />http://www.solarviews.com/eng/asteroid.htm <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

The movements may change by gravitational force of Jupiter.large body.So one cant predict.

Q

qso1

If your referring to Ceres, this asteroids orbit is well known enough that if there were any chance of a close enough Jupiter encounter to cause a deflection, we'd be hearing about it. Even if such a deflection occured, the chances of actually having all the required variables fall into place to allow for an earth strike is miniscule at best.<br /><br />It is predictable in the near term which could be hundreds of years. If such a deflection were detected and all the variables fell into place, we'd have considerable warning time although our ability to develop a system to deflect something that large is questionable. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts