• 8-15

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Thomas Likes Space

This is Thomas
Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
The image, because my other thing is having an issue :(

75000000000000000000 Asteroids are in and out our solar system! That is in words seven trillion five hundred billion!

This is also a question post, and here is the question: What is a recommended website for finding Asteroid and Comet facts?

Sorry for this being a short post, i am a little out of ideas to research so i dont ask questions often. Give something for me to research if you want ;).

Booted up my chrome searched on google, how much asteroids are there? Then it gave me there is 15 million asteroids in the milkyway, then i searched up how much milkyways fit in the universe? Then it did math and got the number.
Oh, that's what you meant by "in and out of our solar system." Ok, but it is too early to say what might be the average no. of asteroids per stellar system.

There are, however, more stars in the universe, likely, than the number you show. So there could easily be a lot more than you stated.

I haven't seen much speculation on asteroids in exoplanet systems. The orbital resonance issues between Mars and Jupiter won't be in every system, of course, but perhaps many will have such asteroid-making circumstances regardless.

Reactions: IG2007

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Again we come to semantics and definitions. Particles / objects orbiting between Mars and Jupiter (or more widely defined, if you like) come in all sizes from fine dust up to Ceres (beltwise). The number will depend on where you place the dividing line (for example, one metre or one centimetre). It is an arbitrary man-defined number.

Cat :)

Reactions: Helio and IG2007
Again we come to semantics and definitions. Particles / objects orbiting between Mars and Jupiter (or more widely defined, if you like) come in all sizes from fine dust up to Ceres (beltwise). The number will depend on where you place the dividing line (for example, one metre or one centimetre). It is an arbitrary man-defined number.
Yes, but there is some rough basis to the definitions.

Rubin, and others, favored the idea that an asteroid would have to be large enough to actually see. This put the value at about 1 meter.

The next class falls to meteoroids (per IAU 2017), which drops to 30 microns.

But next becomes micrometeoroids, yet if we are already down to 30 microns, how does this not look arbitrary, as you say?

Next is dust. But dust for astronomers can be just above diatomic hydrogen, apparently. Less size is "gas".

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
What is a recommended website for finding Asteroid and Comet facts?

Maybe not exactly on point with the astronomy of meteorites, but this meteorite sales site can be gleaned for a variety of info about them - and human interests - that U won't find elsewhere.

"Achondrites for Sale :
> Martian Meteorites - SNC
> Chassignite
> Shergottites
> Nakhlites
> Lherzolite
> Lunar Meteorites - LUN
> Lunar Mare Basalts
> Lunar Anorthositic Breccias
> Vesta Meteorites - HED
> Howardites
> Eucrites
> Diogenites
Chondrites for Sale :
>Carbonaceous Chondrites
> CM Group (Mighei Type)
> CO Group (Ornans Type)
> CV Group (Vigarano Type)
> CK Group (Karoonda Type)
> CR Group (Renazzo Type)
> CH Group (High-Metal Type)
> CB Group (Bencubbinites)
> CI1 Group (Ivuna Type)
>Ordinary chondrite
>H Group
>L Group
>LL Group
> Rare Chondrites
> E Group (Enstatite Type)
> R Group (Rumuruti Type)
> Impact Melt Breccia IMB
> Oriented Chondrites

Catastrophe

The image, because my other thing is having an issue :(

75000000000000000000 Asteroids are in and out our solar system! That is in words seven trillion five hundred billion!

This is also a question post, and here is the question: What is a recommended website for finding Asteroid and Comet facts?

Sorry for this being a short post, i am a little out of ideas to research so i dont ask questions often. Give something for me to research if you want ;).

"What is a recommended website for finding Asteroid and Comet facts?"

My first search is usually Google Wiki

Catastrophe

ThomasResearch asked:
"What is a recommended website for finding Asteroid and Comet facts?"
"Sorry for this being a short post, i am a little out of ideas to research so i dont ask questions often. Give something for me to research if you want".

There was a start with assistance with post #2, after which there was a lot of digression about numbers and definitions.

May I suggest a few lines? Search (Google) the following?
After Asteroid itself Google gives me a lot of options. Also try:
Asteroid belt
Overview | Asteroids – NASA Solar System Exploration
Trojans
Near Earth Asteroids
Meteorites

The questioner also asked for Comet inormation, so again Google (or other search):
Comets
Comets orbit
Halley's comet
Comet composition and origin

There are dozens more suggestions, but hopefully that will keep Thomas happy for a while.

Latest posts