Astronauts that hibernate on long spaceflights is not just for sci-fi. We could test it in 10 years.

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
Biochemistry suggests that muscle-wasting results from the action of myostatins - these continually break down muscle cells, after which, normally, new muscle cells are generated according to exercise demands. The possibility of using myostatin inhibitors during hibernation in ultra-long spaceflight is explored in my SF novel "The Latest Flake of Eternity".

Mar 21, 2023
Visit site
First hibernation studies with human subjects could be feasible within a decade, a European Space Agency (ESA) researcher thinks.

Astronauts that hibernate on long spaceflights is not just for sci-fi. We could test it in 10 years. : Read more
The Translational Research Institute for Space Health (partnered with NASA Human Research Program) funded 4 projects related to hibernation to address just this possibility. Read about them here: Jurassic Park for Humans, cold sleep, red squirrels, and cold livers... Space Health Institute Grants $4M to Study Metabolism Reduction | NASA and we ran a torpor for spaceflight workshop at Caltech - all the fascinating talks are posted Science of Suspended Animation in Deep Space | BCM

Mar 22, 2023
Visit site
Interesting. Last I had read, "sleeping for months without eating or drinking" was a cartoon version of hibernation, that real hibernating animals tend to get up once a day or so for an hour, usually grab a quick bite, etc. To put a crew of astronauts into this deep a hibernation, up to a year of continuous sleep with no IV... Really does sound quite scifi.

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
This is pie in the sky. The mechanisms in animals is not fully understood and human physiology has a long list of reasons it isnt likely possible. We have not evolved to allow this and it isn't likely just biochemical. There are cellular and organ level differences between humans and animals that hibernate. We are decades away, if ever.

Mar 26, 2023
Visit site
I see lots of other uses for hibernation. Hibernate to see the future in 50 years. Hibernate to fix medical issues, Hibernate as a crime sentence, other medical uses ...