Axions Finally Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

<b>Physicists Find Tiny Particle With No Charge, Very Low Mass And Sub-nanosecond Lifetime</b><br /><br />After decades of intensive effort by both experimental and theoretical physicists worldwide, a tiny particle with no charge, a very low mass and a lifetime much shorter than a nanosecond, dubbed the "axion," has now been detected by the University at Buffalo physicist who first suggested its existence in a little-read paper as early as 1974.<br /><br />Using a visual target/detector (emulsion), Piyare Jain has revealed the path of the axion, a tiny particle with no charge, a very low mass and a lifetime much shorter than a nanosecond. (Image courtesy of University At Buffalo)<br /><br />The finding caps nearly three decades of research both by Piyare Jain, Ph.D., UB professor emeritus in the Department of Physics and lead investigator on the research, who works independently -- an anomaly in the field -- and by large groups of well-funded physicists who have, for three decades, unsuccessfully sought the recreation and detection of axions in the laboratory, using high-energy particle accelerators.<br /><br />The paper, posted online in the British Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics, will be published in the January 2007 issue.<br /><br />Full Story <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

R

robnissen

Good for Professor Jain. Its nice to see someone find something that he had searched for for 30 years as his career is winding down.

V

vogon13

So it sounds like a twitchy neutrino to me . . . <br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

L

lukman

Particle with no charge but not neutrino is called axion, i'll remember this. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

aidan13791

Pfffff.... I already found them, now it's tetradodecapentaseptaquarks.

Y

yevaud

This stuff gives me a Hadron.<br /><br />I think you're a Boson.<br /><br />Hey, he ought to be Lepton.<br /><br />(Scrawled on a wall in a bathroom at CERN) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts