Balloons vs orbit

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrew_t1000

The only reason I mentioned using a balloon or airship as a launch platform was I thinking about the probe, who's name I can't remember, that was launched on a Pegasis booster from under NASA's 747, the one that's going to the edge of the solar system.

I have been following quite a few of the high altitude balloon launches that have been going on lately.
Even thinking of doing one myself, I think the images alone would be worth the effort.
These days all the hardware to build a "near space floater" is getting pretty cheap.
I must have clicked on the wrong url, I could have sworn this was Space.com, you know that groovy site where we space nuts can discuss stuff like this with other like minded people.

D

drwayne

There are a number of amateur groups, some associated with universities, and some not, that
do some fascinating work with high altitude balloons, cameras and other sensors. There is one
group that was doing some neat as all get out stuff with balloons carrying smalkl aircraft to very
high altitude, and having the plane's autopilot try to bring it "home". (Since they were going to
over 70.000 feet, it was a fascinating control law problem).

One interesting not of trivia, for some of these organizations, their fluight path takes them through
FAA controlled airspace and then above it.

There are a lot of cool groups that one can stumble across during a "free form Google", usually late
on a weekend evening. ;)

Wayne

A

andrew_t1000

drwayne":373oo4gt said:
There are a number of amateur groups, some associated with universities, and some not, that
do some fascinating work with high altitude balloons, cameras and other sensors. There is one
group that was doing some neat as all get out stuff with balloons carrying smalkl aircraft to very
high altitude, and having the plane's autopilot try to bring it "home". (Since they were going to
over 70.000 feet, it was a fascinating control law problem).

One interesting not of trivia, for some of these organizations, their fluight path takes them through
FAA controlled airspace and then above it.

There are a lot of cool groups that one can stumble across during a "free form Google", usually late
on a weekend evening. ;)

Wayne

That project was great!
They eventually lost their glider on a very nasty looking mountain.
The step by step methodology they employed made for great reading.
It looks like a great project to try, I just have to have a crack!

S

scottb50

drwayne":2iwy0c74 said:

With cooling or heating the gasses, and having propulsion, to get to or stay at a certain location and stay. It would be a simple matter to assure World Wide communications. At G whatever speeds for outrageous prices it doesn't make sense. With linked balloons you could provide the coverage at a fraction of Satellite costs. Even at 100,000 it would take less then 100 balloons to guarantee complete access from anywhere to anywhere. Repairable and replaceable with laboratory overhaul supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts