Barnard's Star = Dinosaur Killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacejunki

I posted this on another thread, but I want to increase my chances of getting the question answered. Basically it's about Barnard's star and its predicted closest approach (closer than Alpha Centauri) in the next 10,000 years<br /><br />=============================<br /><br />So has anyone wondered or done a study on whether Barnard's or some other star in our neighborhood passes by like this on a regular basis? Say in some huge multi-million year elliptical orbit? <br /><br />The fossil record contains evidence of mass extinctions every 30 or 60 million years. Wouldn't a star's increasing proximity perturb the Oort cloud causing a swarm of comets to come crashing into the inner solar system? I know a lot of these would miss us and probably get eaten up by the Sun or Jupiter (hello, Shoemaker Levy 9), but seems like 1 could hit us. Ouch! <br /><br />

T

tony873004

Barnard's star does not orbit the Sun. It is outside the Sun's Hill Sphere, and its velocity exceeds solar escape velocity for its distance. Its future passage of the Sun is a one-time thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.