Battlefield Earth-not that bad of a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacefire

Scienti-scato-logical influences aside, I enjoyed most of the movie,especially the ruthless aliens. <br />Only obvious leap of logic was the barbarians learning to fly Harriers from a simulator, and then saying it's like riding a horse. WTF they couldn't even read the gauges...<br />If they had been give Stinger missiles to shoot down the Psilon aircraft, that would have made some sense. Anybody can use one of those, just point and shoot.<br />Other than that, I thought the movie was OK, I am willing to bet it is better than the upcoming War of The Worlds. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>http://asteroid-invasion.blogspot.com</p><p>http://www.solvengineer.com/asteroid-invasion.html </p><p> </p> </div>

E

elguapoguano

oooof, I don't know man. That was a pretty terrible movie. And I like John Travolta and most SciFi stuff. I couldn't even sit through the whole thing... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ff0000"><u><em>Don't let your sig line incite a gay thread ;>)</em></u></font> </div>

V

vogon13

A unique review of that movie! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Y

yevaud

I'm reminded of two old reviews.<br /><br />"Her acting ran the gaumt of emotions from A to B."<br /><br />"His acting was so wooden, I wanted to reach for the lemon pledge..." <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

W

wmdragon

or about Travolta's alien performance:<br /><br />"a 6-year old's rendition of Dr Frankenstein" <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

L

luciusverus

I was going to think of something constructive to say about 'Battlefield Earth', but most of it wouldn't get past the filters.........!!<br /><br />In two words..'Its Pants!'<br /><br />Wasn't the novellist who wrote the book the same guy who started the Church of Scientology ( Ron. L. Hubbard..??)

Y

yevaud

Yes.<br /><br />He's also the guy who John Campbell - surely the mentor of hundreds of the finest science fiction writers of the time - told to find another profession, because his SF writing was abjectly horrible. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

M

mooware

Did you take your medication today?<br /><br />Battlefield Earth, got be banned from picking movies. An event my wife constantly reminds me of on a trip the video store.<br /><br />

S

Saiph

pfft! you want bad, watch robotic ninja destroyers from space! Or something like that.<br /><br />Or most anime movies.<br /><br />The book was actually worse IMO.<br /><br />Spoilers:<br /><br />Nobody could decode the teleportation technology as it was all done in base 7 math...with a bit of a link to their culture. For hundreds of years nobody could figure it out.<br /><br />Also, Their home planet was mined completely...everything. And their atmosphere had a catastrophic chain reaction when exposed to uranium...<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

C

cookie_thief

I don't understand why people are frothing at the mouth about this movie. It's just a so-so movie. I thought it was just okay and would've paid a matinee price for it. I've seen scores of movies much worse than this. With regard to the complaint about how the primitives could be illiterate one minute and could fly a Harrier the next. It's called science <i>fiction</i>, folks! They used that teaching device for who knows how long and learned everything, including how to fly ancient aircraft. Now, how was this any different from <i>The Matrix</i> where, if one needed to know how to fly a helicopter, the ability to do so was requested and the info downloaded by telephone in a matter of seconds! Granted, <i>The Matrix</i> was a better movie but that doesn't make <i>Battlefield Earth</i> diametrically worse. <br />As I do with a lot of Hollywood movies, I'll overlook the technical gaffes if the story keeps me occupied, especially if the movie takes place in the distant future or some parallel universe. Yep, it was just a mediocre movie, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.