Before the Big Bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

2844az

Now this may sound like a loaded question, but it is a sincere one. I have read various theories on the “Big Bang.†And most cosmologist, and astronomers like to theorize what happen after the Big Bang. <br /><br />The question is: What was before the Big Bang? Where did those elements, substances etc. come from? Was there ever a time when there was nothing? What sparked something to exist and later create the Big Bang? Did the darkness of space have a birth? I think part of Hawking’s theory is that (billions x billions of years) into the future the stars will loose their energy. They may become white dwarfs and eventually all that it is in the universe will be swallowed up by Black holes and carried into nothingness. And then they themselves will collapse. And perhaps the universe will go back to a time like that before the Big Bang. Perhaps these questions are unanswerable?<br /> <br />One of the problems of being a night owl is that you think too much! Gary<br />

V

vogon13

Averaged out over an infinite number of years, the current anomolous state of the universe doesn't amount to anything that needs to be explained.<br /><br />The current universe is a statistical departure from the perfect nothingness that existed before, and will exist again when the universe has finished expanding. Recall, as it gets bigger, it dilutes itself, and before long (10^90 years or so) everything will be entirely dissipated.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

J

jgreimer

> What was before the Big Bang? <br /><br />Imagine the earth spinning faster and faster and objects at the equator getting lighter and lighter until they fly off into space.<br /><br />Now imagine that the earth is the only object in the universe and it begins to spin faster and faster. How could you determine how fast the earth is spinning? If it couldn't be determined , then how do we know that items at the equator would get lighter as it spins faster? One line of thought says that the physical laws are determined by the matter in the universe. Without matter or even with very little matter there can be no physical laws. Thus many physicists believe that before the big bang there was no time nor any physical laws. Without any of matter, time, or physical laws it's impossible to answer any of your questions.

A

alokmohan

Space and time are not seperate entities.Ther is space time only and before big bang there was no spacetime.So there is no meaning to what was before spacetime.

B

brigandier

If I knew the answer to that question, I wouldn't be here! I'd be publishing a paper about it<br /><br />Really though, there are many manyyy theories as to what was "before" the Big Bang. Some think there was another universe that contracted and exploded again. Some think that there was absolutely nothing. For now, I don't see a way we could possibly know..

P

Philotas

<font color="yellow">Space and time are not seperate entities.Ther is space time only and before big bang there was no spacetime.So there is no meaning to what was before spacetime. </font><br /><br />But if there was no time, then how could the Big Bang happen? You need something to trigger the explosion; if there was no time, then it could not be triggered. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

<font color="cyan">My two cents is that the universe has some fundamental properties that demands it to pulsate. It evolves from some kind of quantum state where time and space is in a strange form of zero state..then it starts off and evolves, maybe different from one periode to the next. When one of theese periods is finished..it it returns to the original "zero" state and starts off again. </font><br /><br />When they say great men think alike, they are probably right. That makes so far 2 great men. hahaha.<br /><br />I have been thinking along that line for sometime now. The first universe probably was a nano meter wide. It collapsed and the next universe got a little bigger than a few nano meter with a bit more matter. This way the universe have evolved and got bigger and bigger. We are now in its latest expansion, and the beginning of this latest stage of evolution is now called 'big bang' by scientists. The current universe is probably the millionth or billionth universe, all previous ones have collapsed and destroyed.<br /><br />Wish some theoretical astrophysicists do some work with this line of thinking. Because this is the most logical scenario, evolution of universe.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

S

so_crates

11 dimensional M theory supposes parallel universes existing in a multiverse and the possibility of the collision of separate universes causing ours. <br /><br /><br />And I thought the current trend was believing dark energy was going to rip us apart in the Big Rip? Has it changed again already? <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

W

wick07

<font color="yellow">But if there was no time, then how could the Big Bang happen? You need something to trigger the explosion; if there was no time, then it could not be triggered. </font><br /><br />Remember that all our physical laws, dimensions, and properties are only valid in this universe we are sitting in now. You can not apply cause and effect the way we are used to if time does not exist. To a certain extent it is fruitless to try to conceptualize a pre-big bang universe (or whaever it is) because it does not have to follow any laws of causes that govern our universe, and therefore cannot be studied by any means we possess. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#3366ff"><strong>_______________________________<em> </em></strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"</em>If you are surrounded by those who constatly agree with you, then you're in an intellectual vacuum.  If you feel like trying to make a difference, you have to BE different.  How can you do that without interacting with those who are different from yourself?"</font></p><p><font color="#0000ff">-  a_lost_packet_</font></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

All **** and bull storyParallel univere it too much fiction.

S

so_crates

M Theory and parallel universes in general probably belong more in philosophy and mathematics than in physics. At least currently, and until our understanding through observation can allow us better access to the sub-atomic.

P

Philotas

<font color="yellow">Remember that all our physical laws, dimensions, and properties are only valid in this universe we are sitting in now. You can not apply cause and effect the way we are used to if time does not exist. To a certain extent it is fruitless to try to conceptualize a pre-big bang universe (or whaever it is) because it does not have to follow any laws of causes that govern our universe, and therefore cannot be studied by any means we possess.</font><br /><br />The singularity exploded; but why? If this singularity had always existed; shouldn't then the odds of an explosion at an earlier time be 1.0? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vogon13

The singularity need not have existed before hand.<br /><br />And a universe devoid of contents will not experience the passage of time, there being nothing on which for it to effect.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

O

oscar1

Indeed, if there was an 'original' big bang, it took place at the 'instant' it did, and at all the time before it, squeezed into the fact that there would not have been any time [before it].

A

alokmohan

Singularity came after formation of black hole.Thats what general theory states.

V

vandivx

"as it gets bigger, it dilutes itself, and before long (10^90 years or so) everything will be entirely dissipated. "<br /><br />you know you're wrong when you talk runaway scenarios like this one, nature doesn't operate like that, only math equation do which are man made<br /><br />ranur has the most sensible view and one to which I subscribe too, that is the universe is oscillating with repeated BBs and it does that forever with no begining or end, at least from our point of view because we just couldn't know anything about any begining or end when something would appear out of nothing or something vanishing into nothing<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts