Best Moon Hard SF suggestions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kelvinzero

B

bobw

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi, Im looking for some good Moon SF to read.<br />Posted by kelvinzero</DIV></p>I liked this one.&nbsp; No magic or space battles, pretty sure it is Hard SF.&nbsp; Not completely on the moon but all in the solar system.&nbsp; Funny twist at the end. Free e-book, get the .RTF version for regular computers. &nbsp;<br /><br /><strong><em>Inherit the Stars</em></strong> popped into my mind first and it turns out to be on the list you linked.<br /><br /><strong><em>Inherit the Stars</em></strong> by James P. Hogan<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi, Im looking for some good Moon SF to read. I have read a few of the Heinlein and Bova ones but am looking for something more. In this context by good I mean both plausible and convincing. Plausible just means accurate. Convincing lets you almost&nbsp;smell the gunpowder smell: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/30jan_smellofmoondust.htm(btw here is a cool link on a whole bunch of titles)http://www.biblioinfo.com/moon/sf_moon.html <br /> Posted by kelvinzero</DIV></p><p>That was an excellent bibliography on stories about the moon! &nbsp;I've read many of the titles listed, and my favorites were as follows:</p><p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Farside Cannon</span>, Roger MacBride Allen</p><p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Assemblers of Infinity</span>, Kevin J. Anderson</p><p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Heads</span>, Greg Bear</p><p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Earthlight</span> and <span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">A Fall of Moondust</span>, by Arthur C. Clarke</p><p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress</span>, by Robert Heinlein</p><p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Moonfall</span>, Jack McDevitt</p><p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Steel Beach</span>, John Varley</p><p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">A Walk in the Sun</span> (short story), Geoffrey Landis&nbsp;</p><p>The novels by Arthur C. Clarke are a bit dated, written as they were before the Apollo moon landings, but they are outstanding novels nonetheless. There was speculation at one time that the moon might harbor "seas" of dust that had some of the properties of a liquid, and these were featured in both stories.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

10_stone_5

<font size="2" color="#000080">Greg Benford's <em><u>In the Ocean of Night </u></em>has an interesting Lunar theme where an alien craft is found on the moon -- leading to a much more in-depth story line which ultimately leads to ETI contact in the follow up <em><u>Across the Sea of Suns</u></em>. This book is part of a 3 part hard sci-fi saga. </font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><strong></strong></em></p> </div>

K

kelvinzero

<p>I like his books and I will probably pick that up at some point. </p><p>Right now Im looking for something without aliens etc. That isnt to say I wont be reading several such novels in the meantime, just not specifically for my current moon thirst.</p><p>Im actually reading Andrew Chaikin's "A man on the moon" right now. It is a surprisingly good read. If only there were material for ten sequels:)</p><p>Re the "Walk in the sun" short story, that seems to be a repeating theme: The trek for survival, perhaps leading&nbsp;to a philosophical revelation. Eg "Moonrise" and "have spacesuit, will travel", There was also one in the "mars" series. Another common one seems to be a revolution, perhaps relating to the american revolution.</p>

J

jim48

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That was an excellent bibliography on stories about the moon! &nbsp;I've read many of the titles listed, and my favorites were as follows:Farside Cannon, Roger MacBride AllenAssemblers of Infinity, Kevin J. AndersonHeads, Greg BearEarthlight and A Fall of Moondust, by Arthur C. ClarkeThe Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, by Robert HeinleinMoonfall, Jack McDevittSteel Beach, John VarleyA Walk in the Sun (short story), Geoffrey Landis&nbsp;The novels by Arthur C. Clarke are a bit dated, written as they were before the Apollo moon landings, but they are outstanding novels nonetheless. There was speculation at one time that the moon might harbor "seas" of dust that had some of the properties of a liquid, and these were featured in both stories.&nbsp; <br />Posted by crazyeddie</DIV><br /><br /><strong>I haven't read any SF in thirty years. Used to be all I ever read! <em>The Moon is a Harsh Mistress</em> was my absolute favorite Heinlein novel. A must-read!</strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.