Betelgeuse goes Supernova

Wolfshadw

Betelgeuse is about 700 light years from Earth. That means that if it went supernova, it would take 700 years for the light from that explosion to arrive and been seen on Earth. Until that happens, we won't know if or if not the star has exploded.

I do not think that the star going supernova will affect Earth in any way.

-Wolf sends

Being facetious!:

Do you mean that there is a universe that exists (that there are universes that exist) where things happen before we here and now on Earth will observe them to happen?! That a "future histories future light cone" exists that could possibly be traveled unobserved by Einstein's observer standing next to a railroad track on Earth?!

Naawww! That could mean faster than light travel! As it is, a traveler's 700 year travel to the vicinity of Betelgeuse from Earth would be observed by the Earth observer to have taken 1400 years (a travel observed at half the speed of light) . . . though the traveler would be observed to have aged not all (time having stopped dead on the traveler's ship clock) in that 1400 years it took arrival in the vicinity of Betelgeuse to be observed -- per the speed of light -- by the Earth observer. Photo-electric physics of light's travel itself! don't you know.

Of course the Earth observer must observe the above as it happens by all those other bullets of light and light's past histories past light cone coordinate points SPACETIME flying into the overall picture of universe from everywhere -- shrinking the traveler and traveler's locality to lilliputian magnitudes, and pointedly smaller, in an accelerating expanse of universe's fabric of....

Oh well! I shouldn't be painting pictures more dimensional than 2-dimensional, or more probably greater than 1-dimensional, should I?!

Maybe I didn't make something as clear as I should have! ",,,. As it is, a traveler's 700 year travel to the vicinity of Betelgeuse from Earth would be observed by the Earth observer to have taken 1400 years (a travel observed at half the speed of light, thus, Betelgeuse 1324OCE (Betelgeuse from Earth 2024OCE) plus 700 years to Betelgeuse 2024OCE from Earth 2724OCE, plus 700 more years for the light of arrival at Betelgeuse 2724OCE (REALTIME Betelgeuse) to reach Earth 3424OCE (Thus 1400 years from traveler's departure Earth 2024OCE (Betelgeuse 2724OCE at relative observation from REALTIME Earth 3424OCE)))) . . . though the traveler would be observed to have aged not at all (time having stopped dead (2024OCE) on the traveler's ship clock if witnessed by the Earth observer, Earth 3424OCE) ...."

I had to edit and edit again to get the speed of light and times straight in my own picture since the constant of the speed of light makes it a multi-dimensional picture of time(s), spontaneous concurrent REALTIME and light's coordinate points' SPACETIME). The speed of light is slow over all distance gaining, real slow (-300,000kps), falling more and ever more to the rear in time in enclosure of the apparent accelerating expansion (accelerating opening) of universe . . . to end up finally at the collapsed cosmological constant (/\) of P/BB 'Mirror Horizon'! Betelgeuse 1324OCE to Sol 2024OCE. Andromeda -2.5 million years to Milky Way's '0' ( https://www.nasa.gov/image-article/galaxy-next-door/ ). And so on and on, past histories past light cone versus (equal and opposed to) future histories future light cone.

Last edited: