Bigelow Current Updates Thread....

Page 10 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boris_Badenov

Inflatable space station touted in Canada

A Las Vegas company that's been developing an inflatable space station is trying to entice Canadian astronauts to hop aboard.

Bigelow Aerospace says it's working on a commercial space complex that will have the strength of a Kevlar bulletproof vest.

A company representative was in Ottawa last weekend, delivering a keynote speech and lobbying officials at the annual summit of the Canadian Space Society.

Mike Gold, a Bigelow director, called it his first attempt to reach out to the Canadian government and the space industry. He argued that the facility will offer countries a cheaper way into space within five years.

In an email Tuesday, the CSA's director of space exploration, Gilles Leclerc, said that the agency is not involved, "in any way," in the Bigelow project.

But Gold expresses optimism.

"I don't know how much I can say, but let me say if there wasn't the interest in Canada, I wouldn't be here," he said.

"We're certainly talking to some Canadian officials and we're excited where this can take us."

The Canadian Space Agency sent several delegates to the Ottawa summit, including a senior research scientist and one of its policy advisers responsible for liaising with government officials at Industry Canada.

S

Skyskimmer

Boris_Badenov":d0zo3xf9 said:
Inflatable space station touted in Canada

A Las Vegas company that's been developing an inflatable space station is trying to entice Canadian astronauts to hop aboard.

Bigelow Aerospace says it's working on a commercial space complex that will have the strength of a Kevlar bulletproof vest.

A company representative was in Ottawa last weekend, delivering a keynote speech and lobbying officials at the annual summit of the Canadian Space Society.

Mike Gold, a Bigelow director, called it his first attempt to reach out to the Canadian government and the space industry. He argued that the facility will offer countries a cheaper way into space within five years.

In an email Tuesday, the CSA's director of space exploration, Gilles Leclerc, said that the agency is not involved, "in any way," in the Bigelow project.

But Gold expresses optimism.

"I don't know how much I can say, but let me say if there wasn't the interest in Canada, I wouldn't be here," he said.

"We're certainly talking to some Canadian officials and we're excited where this can take us."

The Canadian Space Agency sent several delegates to the Ottawa summit, including a senior research scientist and one of its policy advisers responsible for liaising with government officials at Industry Canada.
The canadian's got three main advantages to taking a interest in leasing a station. First off there use to the idea that they can't do things on their own and have little political issues to outsourcing the tech. Secondly they're a rich country relative to the amount of debt they have. Thrid there not scared of big goverment spending unlike say(germany).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts