Black Hole powered interstellar flight

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

why06

the probe won't be slingshoting, matter will enter the ship and slingshot around the back hole propelling it forward. Sorry if I was unclear.<font color="yellow"></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

W

why06

What the heck areee you talking about mlorrey, We already went over this. Just drop it. Get it moved if you like I'm answering the same questions over again and I'm getting tired of it. I already explained myself to you. I know what a quantum black hole is and that was my idea in the first place even if I didn't know how to make it. Well untill you told me about a thousand times. If you want to continue arguing with me than go ahead, but I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you what we already agreed upon. <font color="yellow"></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

C

chriscdc

The slingshot maneuver only works by taking momentum from the object you sligshot around. <br />If you had your black hole and you drop matter towards it, then you don't get any velocity out. The particles gain energy as they fall down the gravity well but then they lose that energy by climbing up out of the well again. <br />Think of it like a pendulum. The starting point of the particle is like the pendulum being in a high position. You let the particle fall towards the hole like you let the pendulum go. The pendulum reaches its lowest point but then has to move against gravity and so deccelerates.<br /><br />The slingshot maneuver is when the center of gravity of the system is moving. That way you can fire particle towards the object and it will accelerate. You have set the system up so that the massive object will be moving out of the particles way. That way the particle misses the object, now the massive object and particle are moving away from each other, this results in the gravitational field falling off faster than the inverse square law would suggest. The particle has therefore accelerated more than it has deccelerated thus gained energy. The total energy is the same as the massive object has lost energy.<br /><br />This maneuver is not possible with your black hole engine.<br /><br />Please go learn some newtonian mechanics, that way your creativity will not be wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.