Bright reddish-orange light. What was it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

Ok, I think I may have it.<br /><br />Catalog Number 29117, International Designator 1985 108F, launched by the CIS in 1985, was predicted to decay on that very day; this predicted fatal decay was then advanced to the 28th.<br /><br />Perhaps this was a fragment from it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Where'd you find that? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Red67:<br />I was referring to my post in the SETI room...was teasing about the click and save remark.<br /><br />Me:<br />I gotcha. I didn't realize that was your posting till I went back in afterwards. Nice to know ya Red67, well, as much as its possible to know someone when message boarding. I was an occasional poster myself around 2002. The meteor or space debris were the only two things I could think of to account for the sighting and I too have seen both.<br /><br />Meteors are of much shorter duration which was one reason I opted for space debris. I should mention that particularly large meteors can last a bit longer in terms of duration. I recall the 1972 sighting of a broad daylight meteor that was imaged by an amateur videographer. The meteor crossed above a mountain range and lasted considerably longer than any I'd seen since. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how long.<br /><br />But this one may have been as large as a VW. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

F

flymidge

Thank you Yevaud. I did a search on CIS launch. Didn't come up with a lot. You have a link?<br />So this was probably a satellite, or piece of one, launched from the Ukraine in 1985 that was re-entering?

F

flymidge

Yevaud, let me ask further...do you have a link on this for a layperson...more that just a bunch of numbers and dates? ;-)

Y

yevaud

Unfortunately, I don't. Just an Ephemeri from a tracking site, replete with orbital periods, altitudes, and predicted decays. Sorry. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts