Britain could be going back into satellite launch business!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

space_dreamer

<p class="MsoNormal">Just read this on the BBC website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7862827.stm </p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Britain could be going back into satellite launch business! </p> <p class="MsoNormal">Surrey Satellite Technology Limited teaming up with Virgin Galactic.</p>

B

BoJangles

<p>How did i know Richard Branson had something to do with this.</p><p>Though i think it would be a great idea.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

D

docm

<p>&nbsp;There's been talk for almost a year that WK2 might be used to launch a Pegasus-type vehicle, so it's not that much of a surprise. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jim48

<strong><font size="2">I didn't know that the Brits had been out of the satellite launch business. Brits out and China and India&nbsp;in? What's wrong with this picture? Someone should inform smersh.</font></strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

j05h

That's unlikely as a native British/UK project. Branson and Virgin being involved automatically means it's US-based tech in the chain. The recent Economist article show's Britain's true stripes with regard to space. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

A

annodomini2

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That's unlikely as a native British/UK project. Branson and Virgin being involved automatically means it's US-based tech in the chain. The recent Economist article show's Britain's true stripes with regard to space. <br />Posted by j05h</DIV><br /><br />The British Government are obsessed with feeding and clothing too many wealthy bankers to be interested in a space program. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

F

flynn

<p>Branson knows business, obvious really... the recession has just knocked off a good proportion of those signed up for Virgin Galactic.</p><p>So he's invested heavily in a project that most paying customers can no longer afford (or get credit for). Branson will be looking to make whatever money out of it he can until such a time the rich have money to burn again.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

O

offsprey6

It's good to see Branson diversify like this. Does anyone have the link to the said Economist article?

S

space_dreamer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7898434.stm

The innovative UK launcher concept is to get 1m euros (£900,000) of investment from the European Space Agency (Esa).

Sweet !

Alan Bond Reaction Engines have been working on this for the last decade but to be getting money from Esa is great news. (even if its only 900k) Skylon is by far the best spaceplane concept anyones come up with.

F

frodo1008

I don't quite understand. I thought that Britain was already a part of Arianspace which has a whole lot of the satellite launch business already. With that going on, why would Britain even think of going it alone?

Just asking is all.

A

annodomini2

frodo1008":ytj5vpkw said:
I don't quite understand. I thought that Britain was already a part of Arianspace which has a whole lot of the satellite launch business already. With that going on, why would Britain even think of going it alone?

Just asking is all.

Arianspace is a private company.

The UK is a part of European Space Agency, but they only fund certain projects.

F

flynn

Sounds like much the same deal that see's Italy getting ESA funding for their Vega series of launchers.

S

spacefire

I'm hoping this will be cheaper/higher payload than Pegasus launches. It seems WK2 should b able to carry a bigger rocket due to its high wing and twin fuselage arrangement...but what about payload weight compared to the DC10?
But it would be nice if WK2 becomes the standard 'first stage' for a variety of projects, manned or unmanned. It frees up other companies to put their funds into more advanced rockets and spacecraft!

Ps:
I liked signatures so I've saved this in a text file and will always be adding it to my posts just cause (unless I forget to do it).

My Science Fiction Stories:
http://asteroid-invasion.blogspot.com/

My Space Game:
http://www.solvengineer.com/asteroid-invasion.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts