bye bye moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theodoric

<p>In many shows and books I'v read it is said or written&nbsp;that the moon is leaving the earths gravitational pull. Is this true?</p><p>Also isn't it thought that the moon's gravitional pull is one of the reasons for life on earth and what would happen when its gravity doesn't affect us?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nimbus

IIRC the moon is slowy walking away, but will stabilize at some point. &nbsp;The full story on the moon's effect on life on earth is so rich and vast that I couldn't begin to do it justice.. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>In many shows and books I'v read it is said or written&nbsp;that the moon is leaving the earths gravitational pull. Is this true?Also isn't it thought that the moon's gravitional pull is one of the reasons for life on earth and what would happen when its gravity doesn't affect us? <br />Posted by theodoric</DIV><br /><br />The moon's orbit is getting larger as momentum is shifted between the earth and moon. Eventually the moon would reach a point where the rate was the same as the spin of the earth, so it would hover over one pint on earth.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The good news is that by the time that happens, the earth will be swallowed up by the sun or burned to a crisp during it's red giant phase, so we won't be here to see it.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

AndyMackay

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The moon's orbit is getting larger as momentum is shifted between the earth and moon. Eventually the moon would reach a point where the rate was the same as the spin of the earth, so it would hover over one pint on earth.&nbsp;The good news is that by the time that happens, the earth will be swallowed up by the sun or burned to a crisp during it's red giant phase, so we won't be here to see it. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>It seems like&nbsp;all the planets are gradually moving closer to the Sun, the Earth's rotation (day length) is slowing down, and as a consequence, our Moon is moving away from us. There will come a critical point where the rotation of our Earth is insufficient to maintain the Moon and it wall fall away and perhaps&nbsp;be captured by another planet further out in the Solar system. This may take another 500 million years but it suggests that Venus and Mercury&nbsp;(with day lengths of 2802 hrs and 4222.6 hours respectively) may have had moons at one time. This all part of the Planetary Metamorphosis&nbsp;process.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br /></p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It seems like&nbsp;all the planets are gradually moving closer to the Sun, the Earth's rotation (day length) is slowing down, and as a consequence, our Moon is moving away from us. There will come a critical point where the rotation of our Earth is insufficient to maintain the Moon and it wall fall away and perhaps&nbsp;be captured by another planet further out in the Solar system. This may take another 500 million years but it suggests that Venus and Mercury&nbsp;(with day lengths of 2802 hrs and 4222.6 hours respectively) may have had moons at one time. This all part of the Planetary Metamorphosis&nbsp;process.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by AndyMackay</DIV><br /><br />Actually the planets are moving away from the sun (very very very very very slowly) as the sun loses mass. The moon will never get far enough from the earth to be captured by another planet, once the moon's orbit matches the earth's rotation speed, it will stop moving further away. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p>The same tidal effects that create the raising and lowering of tides also affect the Earth's crust.&nbsp; This creates a slight bulge in the Earth's crust.&nbsp; Due to the rotational velocity of the Earth about its axis, this bulge is always slightly ahead of the moon.</p><p>The gravitational forces of the moon 'tug' at this bulge slowing the Earth's rotation down.&nbsp; Given momentum conservation laws, that momentum is transferred to the moon.&nbsp; This is done by the earth's bulge, that is ahead of the moon, giving a slight 'tug' on the moon and increasing its orbital velocity around the earth thus causing it to recede. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The same tidal effects that create the raising and lowering of tides also affect the Earth's crust.&nbsp; This creates a slight bulge in the Earth's crust.&nbsp; Due to the rotational velocity of the Earth about its axis, this bulge is always slightly ahead of the moon.The gravitational forces of the moon 'tug' at this bulge slowing the Earth's rotation down.&nbsp; Given momentum conservation laws, that momentum is transferred to the moon.&nbsp; This is done by the earth's bulge, that is ahead of the moon, giving a slight 'tug' on the moon and increasing its orbital velocity around the earth thus causing it to recede. <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV><br /><br />Oops, as the orbit increases in size, the orbital velocity <em>decreases</em> :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Oops, as the orbit increases in size, the orbital velocity decreases :) <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Doh!</p><p>Nice catch and poor wording on my part.&nbsp; I should have stated, "accelerating its orbital velocity" or, "increasing its orbital angular momentum".</p><p>Kepler's laws are rather undeniable. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

Discovery actually did an episode about how eventually there would be no moon... and the reason was it's natural orbit and momentum will eventually carry it out to a point were earth's gravity will no longer be able to contain it. Most of the episode was about the affects on earth it would cause if we lost the moon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Discovery actually did an episode about how eventually there would be no moon... and the reason was it's natural orbit and momentum will eventually carry it out to a point were earth's gravity will no longer be able to contain it. Most of the episode was about the affects on earth it would cause if we lost the moon. <br />Posted by xXTheOneRavenXx</DIV><br /><br />The Discovery Channel is a real dilemma. Sometimes they have great real science, and sometimes they air ratings-grabbing garbage. I can't say for sure which category the show you saw falls into. Do you remember the name of the show? Perhaps I can check it out for clarification. Thanx.</p><p>From what I know, what I stated is true, that when the moon matches the earth's rotation rate it would stop moving outward.</p><p>Since that will occur long after the earth is incinerated by the Red Giant phase of our sun, it shouldn't make much difference.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

My memory says otherwise TheOneRaven.&nbsp; Granted, that doesn't mean much :)&nbsp; It is possible for a system, like the earth and moon, to have the satelite lost as it moves to far away due to the momentum transfer.&nbsp; However, I recall running across a source I trusted that said our system would stabilize before that happened...and I want to say the resulting orbital/rotational period was either 50, or 72 days... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

Ya, I can't remember the name of the episode. I know it was quite a while ago. It was one of those things that when I saw it posted here, I remembered seeing it. I used to watch their space shows quit often. But now with 3 kids and my wife that all watch shows, etc... I kind of also lost interest in most of their programming over the years. That was around the time Christian Slater did the commentary series on Dinosaurs, lol. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts