Camerons Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

James Cameron's "Avatar" trailer.....WOW!!

WOW....just flat out WOW!!!!!!

And they did this in 3D??!!!! :speechless:

Follow the link on this page....

Or Apple Trailers here....

N

nimbus

Re: James Cameron's "Avatar" trailer.....WOW!!

Where's the trailer link on the UK website?

A

a_lost_packet_

Very cool. Great CGI!

It looks like World of Warcraft meets HALO! :D

N

nimbus

It really looks awesome.

M

mj1

Dude. That was amazing. They just opened an Imax near my house. I hope they put this in one of those. I'll spew in my pants watching this awesome looking sh-t on Imax.

D

docm

OUTSTANDING!! :)

Just for the helluvit I'm embedding it.... (FYI: highlight the link then click the youtube button on the edit bar above)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LQkTQ1foSU[/youtube]

L

Leovinus

I saw the trailer during the Packers/Vikings game. I was pretty impressed with it and I'm looking forward to seeing it. My one complaint is that like many trailers I feel like I've seen the movie already and I could probably write the whole script out right now.

S

StarRider1701

I too saw the commercial during the ball game. I agree, it looked awsome. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

D

doublehelix

Pretty awesome, I must say. I definitely want to see this!

-dh

N

neuvik

Awesome! I know it would take away the epic battle with airships and mechs...but why is there never any good orbital bombardment scences. Find a sizable rock in space, or back to basics of nuclear assaults and clear an area around that rock they want so much.

They already can't breath the air, and I'm sure space OSHA would make em wear protective clothing once they started mining. They could even make it look like an accident. "Oh sorry, a meteor smashed in to a village, were deeply saddened and when we went to help everybody was toast; then we found a cool rock kthxbai."

Also...slant drilling...if were attempting to be somewhat nice to horrible primatives thanks to lame space politics.

But I digress, looks cool.

I

ice9

Anyone planning on seeing Avatar?

I am and it will be the my first in theater film since Pearl Harbor.

If you've seen it you probably understand my long absence from the movie house.

N

nimbus

You let PH rob you of lots of good times mate :) Don't expect too much from Avatar. The least you expect, the more you'll get out of the experience than you could otherwise.

I

ice9

True that.

But honestly i can only think of a couple of movies that i regret not seeing in a theater, The LOTR films may have been better on the large screen.

Aside from the fact that that IMO Cameron has made three of the best sci-fi films Abyss, T-2 and A-2 its the 3-D angle that will be getting me into the theater.

Haven't seen a 3-D flick since Warhols Frankenstein and im hearing that this one really takes the medium to a new level.

S

StarRider1701

I saw the preview before 2012 and was impressed. The storyline seems to be a good one. The one thing I'm not sure of is it seems like its going to look like some kind of computer game. I realize that everyone is all gaga over the things that comp generation can do that no other FX medium could. BUT, it isn't perfect yet. I can easily tell a comp generated helicopter or airplane from film of a real one and that is just one of many examples. Yes, you can create things impossible otherwise, but filming a scene with a real actor is still far and above anything you can do on a comp.

All that being said, I can't wait to go see Avatar!

I

ice9

Agree with you about the game aspect. I thought some of it looked like it was a level of Crysis, and im hoping that the story line isn't too Empire Strikes Back Ewoks vs Empire.

But i still plan on seeing it.
Heck maybe even get the game. LOL

D

doublehelix

Can't wait to see it! Really excited about it.

-dh

EDIT: I have merged the two Avatar threads.

I

ice9

Well i just found out it will be playing in Atlanta in Imax so as much as i hate the drive its off to Atlanta next week.

D

docm

We plan for the whole family to go; wife and myself, 4 kids & 3 spouses/SO's, 6 grandkids - 15 in all.

D

doublehelix

docm":vpjqnxaz said:
We plan for the whole family to go; wife and myself, 4 kids & 3 spouses/SO's, 6 grandkids - 15 in all.

Wow, you guys are dedicated! :mrgreen:

-dh

D

doom_shepherd

Meh, I'm already familiar with the plot... I watched FERN GULLY.

Isn't the "Military as overagressive stooge for an evil corporate Empire attacking the utterly peaceful and oh-so spiritual natives" cliche just a TAD overused? :|

D

docm

In a way it's the tale of Pocahontas, and that never loses its appeal.

Its world premiere was in London and reports are coming in....

Chris Hewitt - Empire Online

Review

Avatar is unequivocally, completely, 100% the film that has been percolating in James Cameron’s head for the last fourteen years. It is not, in all probability, the film that you had in yours when you first heard that the man who directed Aliens and The Terminator was returning to sci-fi with a movie so ambitious that he had to build the technology to make it happen. If you can let go of your version and embrace Cameron’s – if you’re not, in other words, one of those splenetic internet fanboy types who’ve apparently made their minds up about Avatar before seeing it – then Avatar is a hugely rewarding experience: rich, soulful and exciting in the way that only comes from seeing a master artist at work.

Let’s address the Big Question first: to use the key phrase so often used in connection with the movie, is it a game-changer? Yes, and no would be the cop-out answer, but it’s also the truth. Avatar employs technology necessary to render its largely computer-generated, 3D world that will give directors, including but not limited to Cameron, one heck of a sandbox to play in over the next few years. That’s how the game has changed off screen.
>
It’s a world, not to give too much away, that Cameron clearly fully intends to return to and further explore. When he does, our bags are already packed.

>

Todd McCarthy - Variety

The King of the World sets his sights on creating another world entirely in "Avatar," and it's very much a place worth visiting. The most expensive and technically ambitious film ever made, James Cameron's long-gestating epic pitting Earthly despoilers against a forest-dwelling alien race delivers unique spectacle, breathtaking sights, narrative excitement and an overarching anti-imperialist, back-to-nature theme that will play very well around the world, and yet is rather ironic coming from such a technology-driven picture. Twelve years after "Titanic," which still stands as the all-time B.O. champ, Cameron delivers again with a film of universal appeal that just about everyone who ever goes to the movies will need to see.

The Sun

THE last time James Cameron directed a movie he broke all box office records.

Now - 12 years after Titanic - he has sunk £300million into Avatar to produce the most dazzling film of the decade.

It's a 3D movie people will look back on in years to come to comment on how it transformed cinema.

In recent 3D releases such as Beowulf, the effects were impressive but the computer-generated humans looked far from real.

In Avatar, everything feels real - and it's as if you are immersed in the action.

Awestruck

The final battle scene is 20 minutes long and absolutely mind-blowing.

One of the most amazing scenes comes when Jake and Neytiri are walking in the dark through a forest on Pandora.

Suddenly, she puts out her torch and you see all the vivid, fluorescent plants.

Some people - who have only seen the photos and not the film - have commented that it looks a bit cartoonish.

It doesn't. Everything feels real. It's as if Cameron has happened upon this alien world and got his camera out.

Zoe (Saldana), who played Uhura in the recent Star Trek remake, also displays star quality.
>

Sam Rubin - KTLA - Los Angeles

New "Avatar" movie & James Cameron will go to the Oscars as nominees

3:15 PM December 10, 2009

London --- Just left the 'World Premiere' of "Avatar," and while the standing ovation the film received at its conclusion is probably just the requisite politeness; I can report that this is another rare example where the quality of the movie does indeed exceed the hype and "Avatar" will most certainly be among the 10 'Best Picture' nominees for the Oscars; and James Cameron will also be a Best Director nominee. I think it is also possible that actress Zoe Saldana, who has the most challenging of roles in the film, may rack up an additional acting nomination as well.

The movie may owe more than a few plot points to the story of Pocahontas, and there may be some grousing at a fairly heavy-handed treatment of corporate greed and our lack of American energy independence; but the key question, is Cameron able to deliver a movie that packs the entertainment value and emotional punch of 'Titanic.' The clear answer is 'Yes.' The Oscars will not ignore this film.
>

Times of London

Movie events don’t get bigger than this. James Cameron’s long-awaited follow-up to Titanic, the most successful film to date, is immense in every way: from the ambition and scope of its vision, to the ground-breaking technological wizardry, to the staggering size of its budget.
>

I

ice9

How can a Sci-Fi fan read these and not go see the movie.

I think its gonna do huge box office.

F

FlatEarth

Looks like I'm the first here at SDC to see it. Ah, the benefits of being retired. :)

docm's, first comment, "Wow" applies! This just may be my favorite movie of all time, but I'm not sure if it dethroned the original Matrix because originality is worth a lot in my mind. It's definitely Cameron's best effort by far. I saw it in 3D with an also retired buddy from work. We looked like proper nerds in those glasses! I plan on seeing it again with my wife and young adult kids next week. Did I say I liked it?

Without any spoilers, I will say it was long but moved with good pace. I thought every scene was with purpose, with hardly any sequence overplayed. The special effects and sets were amazing in 3D, and I especially liked the cockpit views looking out. Holy cow. Go see it!

PS. They also showed 3D previews of the film on the Hubble repair mission, which was the closest experience I'll ever have to being in space. Very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.