Can Falcon 9 Heavy Launch Nasa's LEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mr_mark

It seems Nasa has a problem and I think the Falcon 9 Heavy has the solution. With current budget constraits, they are talking about a delay of 8 years for landing on the moon landing in 2028. Why wait, let's stay on time. Spacex could launch the LEM as a substitute for the Ares 5 and link up with Constellation launched by Ares1. Can it be done?

E

EAK09

I'm under the impression that....
1) the Heavy can get 29,000kg into LEO, 15,000kg into GSO
2) has a payload volume similar to the Columbus node on the ISS.
3) NASA considered $22,000 kg pound a fair pice to pay. Spacex already. $1.6 Billion for 12 COTS missions --> $133m per launch... / 6,000kg cargo).
What do you know about the lander dimensions / mass?

G

gunsandrockets

Yes and no.

A Falcon 9 heavy, even an uprated version with a LOX/LH2 upper stage could not be a simple substitute for the Ares V rocket. The Ares V will have more lift capacity than the old Saturn V rocket, whereas the Falcon 9 heavy is more comparable to the current Delta IV heavy.

The Falcon 9 could be part of a manned lunar exploration plan, but it would have to be a plan very different from the architecture NASA intends to use with the Ares I and Ares V rockets.

E

EAK09

gunsandrockets said:
Yes and no.
The Ares V will have more lift capacity than the old Saturn V rocket..
What are the load capacity to LEO amounts for each?

Load Capacity to Leo
Falcon9 heavy : 29,000 kg
Shuttle : 24,000 kg
Saturn V : ?
Areas V : ?

S

Stewie_Griffin

EAK09":2rkc1i4u said:
gunsandrockets":2rkc1i4u said:
Yes and no.
The Ares V will have more lift capacity than the old Saturn V rocket..
What are the load capacity to LEO amounts for each?

Load Capacity to Leo
Falcon9 heavy : 29,000 kg
Shuttle : 24,000 kg
Saturn V : ?
Areas V : ?

Saturn V: 118,800 kg to LEO

Ares V: 188,000 kg to LEO

all of this info is available on wikipedia

G

gunsandrockets

The figure for Ares V sounds too high. I thought is was more in the neighborhood of 135,000 kg payload to LEO if employing the EDS.

S

Stewie_Griffin

gunsandrockets":390bk2an said:
The figure for Ares V sounds too high. I thought is was more in the neighborhood of 135,000 kg payload to LEO if employing the EDS.

No, Ares V will be able to launch 188,000 kg to LEO

this is from http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/const ... index.html :

The versatile, heavy-lifting Ares V is a two-stage, vertically stacked launch vehicle. It can carry nearly 414,000 pounds (188 metric tons) to low-Earth orbit. When working together with the Ares I crew launch vehicle to launch payloads into Earth orbit, Ares V can send nearly 157,000 pounds (71 metric tons) to the moon.

414,000 pounds = 188,000 kilograms

G

gunsandrockets

Ah, that number you are referencing is not the payload, it is the total mass injected into LEO; which is not quite the same thing as payload, as it includes the total mass of the spacecraft at the time the engine cuts off.

K

kelvinzero

That doesnt sound very impressive then. I really thought this beastie was supposed to be substantially bigger.

Wiki claims that the Ares V has a payload of 188kg, compared to 118 for the Saturn V. If this just isnt so then it should be corrected.

W

wdobner

gunsandrockets":9xgkbwic said:
Yes and no.

A Falcon 9 heavy, even an uprated version with a LOX/LH2 upper stage could not be a simple substitute for the Ares V rocket. The Ares V will have more lift capacity than the old Saturn V rocket, whereas the Falcon 9 heavy is more comparable to the current Delta IV heavy.

The Falcon 9 could be part of a manned lunar exploration plan, but it would have to be a plan very different from the architecture NASA intends to use with the Ares I and Ares V rockets.

I am curious what that mission architecture would have to be to land on the moon using a SpaceX-based mission. Per Wikipedia it looks like the Altair's descent stage alone weighs 35,000kg, around 6 metric tons more than the Falcon 9H's LEO capability. I don't know what percentage of that mass is fuel, but I suppose it could be possible we could launch an empty Altair with a Falcon 9H, then its fuel on another launch to do the fueling in orbit. I would imagine that the Earth Departure Stage would make for an even greater challenge launching with a smaller booster. I'd think we'd have to fly the rocket, the main body of the EDS, and maybe even the fuel on separate flights. I guess we could join two upper stages together, but at that point it'd make more sense to just develop a heavy lift booster.

I suppose we're stuck with either developing the Ares V, Mr. Musk's "BFR", or having SpaceX, Bigelow or some other commercial spaceflight group develop their own lunar lander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts