Canada NEOSSAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HopDavid

Canada was planning to launch a telescope to search for NEOs having a one A.U. or less aphelion.

The NEOSSAT website evidently hasn't been updated for awhile. A June 2008 news release said they hope to launch in 2010. Does anyone have any info on this project? I hope it's still ongoing and will launch this year.

M

MeteorWayne

There's another thread on this, and I will merge this post into the existing one when I find it.

H

HopDavid

I've searched within this forum and elsewhere. Either there is very little info or my Google-Fu isn't up to snuff.

The body of NEOs whose orbits lie mostly within earth's orbit should be of great interest. Having smaller orbital periods, they could potentially pass through earth's neighborhood more frequently than their slower cousins.

Such asteroids spend most of their time in the day sky. If visible at night, they would tend to be close to the horizon with light pollution and atmospheric distortion making them harder to see. When they are near the earth, the phase angle is bad for viewing, the side presented to earth lieing mostly in shadow.

Our lack of knowledge should pique our curiousity. When I see a box whose contents are concealed by wrapping paper, I want to open it. Sometimes there are strange and wonderful things concealed within.

We need a space based telescope searching for inner system NEOs. I sure hope the Canadian scope flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts