Can't post on some threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nimbus

I've tried to reply to a couple of topics and nothing happens after I submit. Skips the "return to topic/return to forum" page and goes to topic page with my reply nowhere. Refreshed topic with different browser and nothing there either.

Two topics where it happens are the "Evil empire" topic in Politics, and the Polish airburst thread in SS&A.

M

MeteorWayne

It seems to be a random problem, not confined to specific threads. TPTB are aware of it and working on it (or will be when they come in this morning)

D

doublehelix

Let me know if you are still experiencing this today, or if it's improved. I'll report back to the product manager and devs about it.

-dh

D

doublehelix

It's also happened to me. I'd love more feedback and testimonials of wonkiness in posting, too.

-dh

M

Mee_n_Mac

I noted that twice in the last day (yesterday) I went to edit/correct a prior post of mine and the edit didn't take, even though I clicked on the Submit button. It skipped the post click question (go to forum or read the post) and went directly to displaying the post. I was able to edit late last night. Sounds similar to the above.

A

a_lost_packet_

It happened to me a couple of times just a few minutes ago. Seems to be random.

Post REDO - ROFLMAO!

It just happened to me when posting this post. :)

Twice..

Three times now.. going for a record..

Four times..

Edit - I had to start a new Reply process to get this post to go through...

I had simply used my cookies to try to repost the message earlier by thumbing back through my browsing history to get the contents of my post redisplayed so I could hit "Submit." But, that would not work at all. I had to create a new reply and refresh everything to get this one through.

A

a_lost_packet_

Note: It may be happening more frequently when "quoting" to reply to a post instead of simply hitting the "Submit Reply" button. Not sure. But, it could be a clue!

2009-05-29-scoobydoo.jpg

M

MeteorWayne

I've found it to be random, I had no problem with a multi quote post.

BTW, so far, it hasn't happened yet this morning. There that ought to break it ;)

A

a_lost_packet_

MeteorWayne":3ke1h1q9 said:
I've found it to be random, I had no problem with a multi quote post.

BTW, so far, it hasn't happened yet this morning. There that ought to break it ;)

You wish has been granted... It' still happening, regardless of the type of reply I choose. So, it's random..

Time to call tech support!

Monkey-Computer.jpg

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, it happened to me once or twice today. (well technically yesterday).

D

docm

Same here; when I hit "reply" it doesn't go to the usual "Information" page but straight back to the forum minus the post or edit. Every once in a while previewing once or twice before submitting will make it "take", but not often. Tested on 2 machines using both IE8 and FireFox 3.6 (with and without IETab, which uses the IE rendering engine on a given site)

Quoting doesn't seem to matter as it happens with both original posts and replies without quoting.

S

Smersh

I've experienced it with every thread I've posted in last two or three days. For me, when I hit submit the thread I'm trying to post in gets displayed but without my post added to it at the bottom. The solution seems to be to do a preview of your post, then wait about 10 seconds before hitting submit and it seems to work. If you hit submit straight away or too quickly it won't post and you have to hit the back arrow on your browser to try again.

R

R1

It happened to me as well, but this time I was posting a youtube video.
At first I thought that it could be that rubiconsdrv is having to watch the video first, but now that
I found this thread, I realize it is happening to many posters.

What happened to me just now is that the youtube video did not show up in my post. And when I went back to edit
so that I could at least add the url so people can access it that way, I found out that even the url
is truncated and distorted, such that it only directs to some youtube home page, and not the video itself!
I mangaged to remove the url, but I'm still waiting for the video to appear on the post.

----
edit/add- update: I have found out that the actual URL I was using was truly corrupt and SDC had nothing to do
with the problem. I found a different but similar video and SDC worked well. But what Smersh said about previewing
and waiting several seconds does help during random submitting problems. Try it. Preview the post you are about
to submit first, by using the PREVIEW button instead of the SUBMIT button. Then wait some seconds, allow the
page to load completely, and then actually SUBMIT.

A

a_lost_packet_

R1":234mv8b6 said:
It happened to me as well, but this time I was posting a youtube video.
At first I thought that it could be that rubiconsdrv is having to watch the video first, but now that
I found this thread, I realize it is happening to many posters.

What happened to me just now is that the youtube video did not show up in my post. And when I went back to edit
so that I could at least add the url so people can access it that way, I found out that even the url
is truncated and distorted, such that it only directs to some youtube home page, and not the video itself!
I mangaged to remove the url, but I'm still waiting for the video to appear on the post.

----
edit/add- update: I have found out that the actual URL I was using was truly corrupt and SDC had nothing to do
with the problem. ...

I'd like to add that I have experienced some weird youtube url malforms when using the "youtube" tag button. They didn't seem to appear within the document as I constructed it but only after I had submitted it. Then, I had to go back and edit it to correct the refs. In one case I could not correct it by simply rewriting the link and reapplying the tags. I had to delete the body of the post and reconstruct it in order to "clear" whatever formatting error had occurred.

So, while the youtube url you used may have been corrupt, I experienced a similar problem you describe with an embedded youtube link and that link was not truncated.

D

doublehelix

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'll forward it on.

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Just happened to me again 4 times, so the problem still exists.

D

doublehelix

Thanks, Wayne. I've posted 4 times this morning and have only run into the problem once. But all the comments in this thread are very helpful. I'm going to forward what we have so far to the product manager.

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Also had a reoccurence of the read posts flag not clearing. Things seem particularly wonky right now...

(3rd attempt to post this)

C

CommonMan

May not be related to this problem. but a couple of days ago I tried log on to SDC and a Virus protection scam came up on my computer and told me my computer had trogan virus and some others, and went to a download site, which was hard to get away from but I didn't download anything. I have my own virus scan I use so I knew it must have beed a scam. This has happened twice only when logging on SDC. Someone is using our site to scam people.

B

benbald

Hmm that's a strange error, I can't say I've experienced that one before.

M

Mee_n_Mac

CommonMan":f92o1z1u said:
May not be related to this problem. but a couple of days ago I tried log on to SDC and a Virus protection scam came up on my computer and told me my computer had trogan virus and some others, and went to a download site, which was hard to get away from but I didn't download anything. I have my own virus scan I use so I knew it must have beed a scam. This has happened twice only when logging on SDC. Someone is using our site to scam people.

Two others plus myself had a similar experience. There's a another thread on this in this forum.

FWIW : do a real good check on your PC now !! Just going to that site may have d/l'ed a trojan to your PC. It took Malabytes a couple of times to cleanse it from a PC that got it a year or so ago.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

A

abq_farside

I just noticed this happening on a number of threads in the Political forum. Very frustrating to submit a post only to have it vaporize. Guess I better get into the habbit of Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V

BTW - Number of submit tries on this thread: 4 (and counting)

E

EarthlingX

Solution i use for this problem is simple and i hope not too brutal :
- If after clicking 'submit' you get straight to the thread
- press 'back' on the browser and
- 'submit' again.

Sometimes i have to do it up to 10 times, but at the end it works. I use Lazarus Form Recovery add-on for FF, if that helps.

It helps, if i wait a bit before trying to re-submit, if it didn't work for the first couple of times.

It is getting better lately, had 2 problems with this post, even though i edited it like 7 times, just in case ;)

C

CommonMan

This problem is getting stressful, so far the last 4 posts I wrote, I had to re-write. And it's hard for me to write it the first time. :)

I even had to edit my edit 2 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts