Captured Mar/Curiosity image of a fossil

Jan 7, 2020
Visit site
Sept 2015. This image is clear and is a tight zoom-in screen capture utilizing Curiosity's gigapixel camera. The fossilized object appears to have circular eye slots or breath holes on the right and what appears to have a formation of vertebrate down the back.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020
Visit site
Jan 7, 2020
Visit site
Humans naturally try to put faces on things, it is a part of evolution, and this looks like one of those cases. I can see the features, but I can also see a face on the moon. I see a rock. Not saying anything mean, just presenting a reason it might look like it has a "face".

Jan 7, 2020
Visit site
Humans naturally try to put faces on things, it is a part of evolution, and this looks like one of those cases. I can see the features, but I can also see a face on the moon. I see a rock. Not saying anything mean, just presenting a reason it might look like it has a "face".
Of course, it is a rock :) all fossils are rocks, but this is different. I don't see faces, rats or cats just a fossilized creature on the surface of Mars.

Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
Have you seen the famous "Bones on Mars" picture? I've had a x-ray tech go over that image without telling them what it was and they said Themer Bone. I would have someone who works with bones go over the images and you'd be surprised how many fossils are possibly in Curiosity Photo log :)

Sept 2015. This image is clear and is a tight zoom-in screen capture utilizing Curiosity's gigapixel camera. The fossilized object appears to have circular eye slots or breath holes on the right and what appears to have a formation of vertebrate down the back.

It does not look like a fossil.
I volunteer in a dinosaur (and other creatures)museum. The fossils I work with have clearly demarked boundaries between the encasing rock and the fossilized material. This object is all one rock sort, and it appears to be sedimentary. So, sorry, not a fossil, just eroded sandstone.

Latest posts