Cause of CME in 195A, effects seen in Lasco

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

SOHO (and STEREO) record an event in the northern hemisphere of the sun in 195A around 09:00 yesterday that looks to finally be showing up in the LASCO-C2 and C-3 images. The best view in 195A comes from the STEREO-Ahead satellite:

http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/brows ... 95_512.mpg

Because this took place near the limb in SOHO's view, the results of that event can be seen now in Lasco-C2 images and they are just now showing up in C3 images. The C2 image can be found here:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/LAT ... ent_c2.mpg

Note that there also is a very active region that has been growing and generating sunspots in the southern hemisphere.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I notice the southern event yesterday on the SOHO images. That looked like a fair sized one. There looked like a few more minor ones in the northern hemisphere. But I know the one your talking about. It wasn't on C2 or C3 at the time though. Had the southern one reached their view yet? (Can't view the SOHO site from work).

M

michaelmozina

xXTheOneRavenXx":2g1qichy said:
I notice the southern event yesterday on the SOHO images. That looked like a fair sized one.

The activity that is occurring in the southern hemisphere is generally pointed in our direction so we won't likely see anything in a SOHO lasco images. The STEREO-B COR-2 instrument appears to offline. I'm not sure why but the resolution of STEREO COR images simply does not rival the LASCO images in terms of clarity of the image, but the SOHO LASCO images are a lot better in terms of isolating CME ejections. That southern region got "hot" earlier in the week and started producing sunspots and smaller ejection events. The event that occurred in the Northern hemisphere was actually much larger in terms of surface area that was involved.

There looked like a few more minor ones in the northern hemisphere.

The main event took place around 7:55-9:00 on the 5th. It's a flare that covers quite a large area. It's actually a fairly large flare.

But I know the one your talking about. It wasn't on C2 or C3 at the time though. Had the southern one reached their view yet? (Can't view the SOHO site from work).

You can now clearly see the effect of that flare in the northern hemisphere in the the C2 images and they are starting to show up in the LASCO-C3 images this morning. There is a definite "cause/effect" relationship between the flare we see in the STEREO 195A images on the 5th, and the CME event we now see in the LASCO images today.

M

MeteorWayne

michael.
This is now the 5th thread you have started on the same subject for different events. May I suggest that you start one topic, something along the lines of "Multi Satellite Observatons of Solar Flares" instead of creating a new one every few days?

Wayne

M

michaelmozina

MeteorWayne":3olg7uc4 said:
michael.
This is now the 5th thread you have started on the same subject for different events. May I suggest that you start one topic, something along the lines of "Multi Satellite Observatons of Solar Flares" instead of creating a new one every few days?

Wayne

I agree. From now on I'll just use this thread when noting or tracking new CME's. Sorry about that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.