Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

M

michaelmozina

M

michaelmozina

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/LAT ... it_195.mpg

SOHO looks to have completed it's bakeout process at just the right time. The active region that resulted in the two recent M class flares first appears about February 5th and continues to grow in intensity. The STEREO B images show that at least 4 active regions will rotate our direction over the next week or so.

M

Mobiusfiftyseven

I can only imagine the planets around these stars. Cold hard and dead. Well mabe not dead, but you get the picture =D

M

MeteorWayne

Mobiusfiftyseven":7g38rww0 said:
I can only imagine the planets around these stars. Cold hard and dead. Well mabe not dead, but you get the picture =D

Huh? He's talking about our sun!

M

Mobiusfiftyseven

D'oh. i saw M class and automatically assumed the type of star. :oops:

M

michaelmozina

Mobiusfiftyseven":ndt2deie said:
D'oh. i saw M class and automatically assumed the type of star. :oops:

Oh well. :)
http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/where.shtml
where_is_stereo.gif

FYI, the STEREO-B(ehind) satellite (blue dot in the image) sees our sun from about 80 degree behind the Earth's orbit, while the STEREO-A(head) satellite (red dot) sees the sun about 80 degrees ahead of Earth in the same orbit as Earth. SOHO's view is pretty much aligned with Earth and would be close to the green dot in that image. All the images I presented are in the 195A wavelength, and are "high energy" views of the sun from various different angles. The brightest regions represent plasma that is in excess of a million degrees Kelvin.

Now just to confuse you, the sun rotates left to right in all the images, counterclockwise in that diagram, so what we first observe in STEREO-B eventually rotates toward SOHO, and then eventually into the view of STEREO-A. :) Keep in mind that the sun complete a rotation every 27.3 days or so.

The three satellite combined provide an almost full sphere view of our own sun now, soon to be joined by SDO.

Status
Not open for further replies.