Censorship ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2024
Visit site
Is it still considered a "community forum" if your post are censored? With politics not allowed on the forum it leaves out one of the main issues with NASA because its ran by politicians and operated on a Gov budget. Many personal opinions have always said its the politicians in NASA who hold them back. If your not able to have a complete discussion then there is no such thing as "community feedback"? The success of our space exploration is dependent upon the support of all Americans from all backgrounds that come with different opinions. With that said, is this a "community forum" or a censored forum?

Wolfshadw

This IS a community forum and as such, all members are required to conform to the rules of the forum. While the political side of things tends to get frown upon (but not always removed), certain accusations will certainly be removed.

If you feel you are being unfairly censored, please contact the community managers at community@futurenet.com

Wolfshadw

Reactions: billslugg

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is also an international community. That can certainly complicate matters from time to time.

Focusing on space and science will help mitigate violations of site norms and rules.

Nearly all forums have boundaries in terms of acceptable content. Rules are for the good of all members.

As this is not a governmental body, no one's rights are being infringed either.

There are better venues to share political views and discussions. Not here.

If your not able to have a complete discussion then there is no such thing as "community feedback"? The success of our space exploration is dependent upon the support of all Americans from all backgrounds that come with different opinions. With that said, is this a "community forum" or a censored forum?
You pose an either or question, which is a bit unfair. Are you not implying a "free-for-all" or nothing viewpoint? What forum has no rules? NASA has lots of rules.

I've found, thankfully, that opinions of a political nature , if factually-based, that are found to directly affect, not "steer away from", any science issue are often deemed allowable by our respected moderators. Otherwise, subjective views (especially religious or political) can easily turn the bull loose into the china shop.

Is it still considered a "community forum" if your post are censored? With politics not allowed on the forum it leaves out one of the main issues with NASA because its ran by politicians and operated on a Gov budget. Many personal opinions have always said its the politicians in NASA who hold them back. If your not able to have a complete discussion then there is no such thing as "community feedback"? The success of our space exploration is dependent upon the support of all Americans from all backgrounds that come with different opinions. With that said, is this a "community forum" or a censored forum?
It's not that it is disallowed altogether, it, politics and space, like religion and space, is moderated by the moderators as to how far into the pale you . . . and I . . . can take it before it ha to be reigned in or jerked back and banned. I've discovered, from experience, including maddening experience, they are quite reasonable umpires.

Reactions: RiversRider$!
It is Space.com's site and we are guests here. You can have your own website, make the rules and moderate comments/posts (or not) as you see fit.

I've never found the rules here too onerous, with discussion encompassing some strongly held differences of opinions at times, including where I am the minority, including some politics. If you keep having posts removed there will usually be reasons given (or can ask moderators). Sounds like you should review and change the content and/or style of your posts in light of that; it is usually possible to politely and respectfully express your views clearly and avoid having content removed or getting banned.

Reactions: Atlan0001
Jun 21, 2024
Visit site
This IS a community forum and as such, all members are required to conform to the rules of the forum. While the political side of things tends to get frown upon (but not always removed), certain accusations will certainly be removed.

If you feel you are being unfairly censored, please contact the community managers at community@futurenet.com

Wolfshadw
If this “IS” a community forum it’s being run like a HOA. I found over the years this site has a wealth of info about anything space related. I never felt the need to post anything until the latest Boeing starliner problems.Ultimately Boeing, SpaceX and any other aerospace company has to report to NASA which is “Political”. If you can’t air frustration about any of it here then put a warning label this forum is for cheerleading only. If the ultimate goal is the same only the way we discuss it is different then it doesn’t make it wrong, only a debate…and No, I don’t care to complain to a community manager. I only wanted to voice frustration about a topic I thought was shared by people on “your” forum

Jun 21, 2024
Visit site
It is Space.com's site and we are guests here. You can have your own website, make the rules and moderate comments/posts (or not) as you see fit.

I've never found the rules here too onerous, with discussion encompassing some strongly held differences of opinions at times, including where I am the minority, including some politics. If you keep having posts removed there will usually be reasons given (or can ask moderators). Sounds like you should review and change the content and/or style of your posts in light of that; it is usually possible to politely and respectfully express your views clearly and avoid having content removed or getting banned.
Space.com is a “heavy hitter” in online content and is in my opinion the perfect place to voice your opinion regardless of anyone wanting to “moderate” your opinion…which by the way sounds like a different term! You don’t like someone else’s opinion so you “ban” them. If this is the way Space.com thinks then I will not post here again or visit the site.

Jun 21, 2024
Visit site
This is also an international community. That can certainly complicate matters from time to time.

Focusing on space and science will help mitigate violations of site norms and rules.

Nearly all forums have boundaries in terms of acceptable content. Rules are for the good of all members.

As this is not a governmental body, no one's rights are being infringed either.

There are better venues to share political views and discussions. Not here.
I never said anything about “my rights being infringed”. Maybe you should remove that from your post

Jun 21, 2024
Visit site
Noted. The previous message was not just for you, but others who read it as well.

Sort of the way forums work.

Just to be clear, we do not discuss specific moderation actions in public.
I’m pretty sure the “sort of how forums work” quote was just amusingly sarcastic…careful though, sounds like we are having a debate…

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts