CEV Question (size)

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waxy

Does anyone know (or have a link for where i can find...) the <br />maximum diminsions and weight load for the CEV and rocket's <br />cargo?<br /><br />Also, with the shuttle out of commission, how will they service <br />the hubble? (plz don't say the congress bill failed and so hubble <br />will fall) The hubble was actualy built to be serviceable and <br />upgradable so i hope it's still going to be around.<br />

D

darkenfast

This is the actual ESAS report. It is long, so you might want to just pick and choose. The chapter on the CEV covers a lot of the versions that they looked at, which is good, because they have just backed up a bit to the 5m diameter capsule. Same with the launcher (CLV). The current word is that it will now be a 5-segment SRB with an upper stage powered by a J-2S engine. I believe this version is also covered in the report. Dr. Doug Stanley, who lead the team that produced this, has said that the 5-segment/J-2S was his favored approach all along. He's been taking questions over at nasaspaceflight.com. <br /><br />Have a good read!<br /><br />http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/exploration/news/ESAS_report.html

M

mattblack

They'd better not shrink the Crew Module any further. 5 meters diameter is about optimum, and with 30 degree capsule sidewalls, the internal pressurised volume for a crew of four will be 487 cubic feet. That's 121 cubic ft per crew member, up from the 70 cubic ft per man for Apollo. And with a crew of six: 81 cubic ft per person. Better than Apollo in all cases. But if they shrink it anymore, it'll be very tight. Because of the move to hypergolic propellants, they want to save weight. Yeah, but how much will they save in the overall scaling down: 1 ton? Two tons? Every bit's going to count, I suppose.<br /><br />And it's official -- It WILL be the J-2S for the CLV:<br /><br />http://www.usspacenews.com/<br /><br />As I suspected all along! Only question now is whether it will be 1 or 2 engines. I'd hope for 2, along with the 5-segment SRB so as to keep the desired performance as close to the original reference standard payloads as possible. After all: the HLV will be using 5-segments and J-2S on it's upper stage -- might as well standardize, eh? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

W

waxy

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.<br />i appericate the time and effort in making those posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts