Cold warrior Henry Kissinger woos Russia for Barack Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smersh

<p>Story from the Daily Telegraph:</p><p><strong><font color="#000080">By Adrian Blomfield, Moscow Correspondent <br />Last Updated: 2:14AM GMT 06 Feb 2009</font></strong></p><p><font color="#000080"><strong>Henry Kissinger, the pioneer of Cold War detente during the Nixon era, has made a return to frontline politics after President Barack Obama reportedly sent him to Moscow to win backing from Vladimir Putin's government for a nuclear disarmament initiative.</strong></font></p><p><font color="#000080"><strong>The Daily Telegraph has learned that the 85-year-old former US secretary of state met President Dmitry Medvedev for secret negotiations in December. According to Western diplomats, during two days of talks the octogenarian courted Russian officials to win their support for Mr Obama's initiative, which could see Russia and the United States each slashing their nuclear warheads to 1,000 warheads. </strong></font><font color="#000080"><strong><br /></strong></font><font color="#000080"><strong><br /></strong></font><font color="#000080"><strong>The decision to send Mr Kissinger to Moscow, taken by Mr Obama when he was still president-elect, is part of a plan to overcome probable Republican objections in Congress.</strong></font><br />&nbsp;</p><p><strong>Full story here.&nbsp;</strong></p><p>Why might Republicans in Congress object to this? Is it possible Mr Kissinger might go to China as well? I wonder if Iran was discussed?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <h1 style="margin:0pt;font-size:12px">----------------------------------------------------- </h1><p><font color="#800000"><em>Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."<br />Churchill: "Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."</em></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Website / forums </strong></font></p> </div>

D

dragon04

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Story from the Daily Telegraph:By Adrian Blomfield, Moscow Correspondent Last Updated: 2:14AM GMT 06 Feb 2009Henry Kissinger, the pioneer of Cold War detente during the Nixon era, has made a return to frontline politics after President Barack Obama reportedly sent him to Moscow to win backing from Vladimir Putin's government for a nuclear disarmament initiative.The Daily Telegraph has learned that the 85-year-old former US secretary of state met President Dmitry Medvedev for secret negotiations in December. According to Western diplomats, during two days of talks the octogenarian courted Russian officials to win their support for Mr Obama's initiative, which could see Russia and the United States each slashing their nuclear warheads to 1,000 warheads. The decision to send Mr Kissinger to Moscow, taken by Mr Obama when he was still president-elect, is part of a plan to overcome probable Republican objections in Congress.&nbsp;Full story here.&nbsp;Why might Republicans in Congress object to this? Is it possible Mr Kissinger might go to China as well? I wonder if Iran was discussed? <br /> Posted by Smersh</DIV></p><p>There would be no reason for Secretary Kissinger to go to China. The amount of American Debt that China holds, and how much of their goods American Consumers buy dictates that relationship.</p><p>First, I'd like to congratulate President Obama on choosing Dr. Kissinger as his "secret envoy" to Russia. As to why Republicans might be angry? I don't know.</p><p>As far as the "Obama Initiative" goes, that's a bit of political grandstanding on the part of Obama. Treaties were (and still are) already in place that will result in both Russia and the US reducing their active arsenals to 1,200 warheads each. A further reduction of 200 is irrelevant in real terms.</p><p>That's not why Kissinger went to Moscow in December. That may be the cover story, but he went there at then President-Elect Obama's behest to work out some solution that is related to the Bush Administration's insistence on placing "interceptor missiles" in Poland and other nations bordering Russia.</p><p>I believe that very quietly, the "interceptor missile" thing will fade away. It's Diplomatic Mana From Heaven for the Obama Administration to take advantage of. Not for a minute do I believe that "Bad Vlad" Putin is a good actor in this drama, and resolving the interceptor missile issue will take a lot of wind out of his sails. He would have to find another reason to stir Nationalistic paranoia.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

A

Archer17

<p>Well put dragon. </p><p>Based on Kyrgyzstan's decision to close a base the US uses for their Afghan campaign - which not coincidentally happened after&nbsp;the&nbsp;Kyrgz Prez visited&nbsp;Moscow and got his pockets stuffed with money - Kissinger obviously lost his "mojo"&nbsp;as Russia welcomes the Obama administration and it's stated intention to concentrate on the Afghan war by flipping him the bird.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.