Colliding neutron stars hint at new physics that could explain dark matter

"...Standard Model accounts for just 15% of the total matter in the universe."
Correction,
should read,
"...Standard Model accounts for just 15% of the total MASS in the universe."

They in conventionality have missed the option of matterless or matter distanced mass.
Mass that doesn't conform to their expectations.

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
"...because it doesn't interact with light, which means it is effectively invisible to our eyes. Dark matter also exhibits an apparent lack of interaction with other forces like the electromagnetic force."

There's no "also" about it. Light involves that very electromagnetic force.

Other axion searches on the table includes GALILEO.
By measuring the differential phase velocity between the two arms of the interferometer, GALILEO can detect the frequency of oscillation induced by light dark matter [axion-like particles]. This oscillatory signal serves as the signature of the presence of dark matter particles.
"Our proposal uses similar technological advancements as LIGO, such as Fabry-Perot cavities or squeezed light to suppress the quantum noise limit. However, unlike LIGO, the proposed GALILEO interferometer is a tabletop-scale device."
https://phys.org/news/2024-03-galileo-scientists-method-dark.html

It may work, however they are not very compelling IMHO.

Cosmologically they are a bad fit to cold (heavy) dark matter. Quantum physically they have a gravitational coupling problem I believe (most of the potential mass range has too short lifetime to exist as primordial dark matter today). Finally standard particle CP symmetry breaking is better explained by its finetuning (CP symmetry; finetuning factor now in the minimum range of 1,000 - 1,000,000 without any axions involved) and neutrinos (mass oscillation CP breaking the putative axion symmetry now at 2 sigma significance).

"...Standard Model accounts for just 15% of the total matter in the universe."
Correction,
should read,
"...Standard Model accounts for just 15% of the total MASS in the universe."

They in conventionality have missed the option of matterless or matter distanced mass.
Mass that doesn't conform to their expectations.
I believe you mean massless matter since other mass energy is explained (mostly by dark energy) and there isn't any "matter distanced mass". But radiation is an insignificant part of the universe energy budget after the first 10,000 years of radiation dominance (albeit primordial photons of the cosmic background still outnumber other particles with a factor 10^10).

Last edited:
Other axion searches on the table includes GALILEO.

https://phys.org/news/2024-03-galileo-scientists-method-dark.html

It may work, however they are not very compelling IMHO.

Cosmologically they are a bad fit to cold (heavy) dark matter. Quantum physically they have a gravitational coupling problem I believe (most of the potential mass range has too short lifetime to exist as primordial dark matter today). Finally standard particle CP symmetry breaking is better explained by its finetuning (CP symmetry; finetuning factor now in the minimum range of 1,000 - 1,000,000 without any axions involved) and neutrinos (mass oscillation CP breaking the putative axion symmetry now at 2 sigma significance).

I believe you mean massless matter since other mass energy is explained (mostly by dark energy) and there isn't any "matter distanced mass". But radiation is an insignificant part of the universe energy budget after the first 10,000 years of radiation dominance (albeit primordial photons of the cosmic background still outnumber other particles with a factor 10^10).
It's mass/time-dilation that is causing the lensing effect & altered orbits of stars, so I'll treat that as a given.

Mostly we associate mass/time-dilation with matter, but the 'dark matter' effect would be the exception to that thus far, since no matter has yet been detected.

If we understood why matter produces mass in the first place then we might figure out why mass in some instances mass is dissociated or more spatially removed from any source matter.

I hypothesize that standard mass is some function/interaction of/with tachyons,
and the 'dark matter' effect is a spatially removed variant version of that with black holes.

Mar 18, 2024
Visit site
A minor detail re. “The merger also forms a short-lived, dense remnant of the two neutron stars that quickly collapses to birth a black hole”: it may quickly collapse into a black hole; it may alternatively collapse into a new neutron star, as the article goes on to explain.

Latest posts