Comet Machholz

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eosophobiac

I was reading about comet Machholz, and I had tried to view it over the weekend. According to what Skymaps.com had on their chart, the comet should have been close to the Pleiades. I located the Pleiades, but was unable to locate the comet. I was using binoculars of 15 x 70. (I'm not sure these would be good enough to see it, but it sure makes a difference over my own eyes!) I am curious if anyone else is having any difficulty seeing it. I know it's not very bright, but any other pointers anyone can give to help out my viewing would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

E

eosophobiac

Those pictures were really good. (That's something I'd love to do one day - astrophotography.) And thanks, I'll try positioning myself and the FOV as you suggested. Here's hoping the weather holds! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

B

bobvanx

I took advantage of a brief moment of cloud-free skies last night, and my 8x binocs picked it up not far past the Pleiades. Nice little greenish/bluish blob. I've got a bit of light pollution here, so I can't claim to have seen it with the naked eye.

Y

yurkin

It is very pretty though my 8in dob on the 1st. It had a pale blue color and a very bright nucleus. But I still couldn’t see any tail.

B

berna

I saw it on the 7th using a 11 cm reflector telescope, but I could not see any tail and it looked mostly white to me. It was too dim to take a picture by holding the camera in front of the occular. (this crazy trick worked for mars pictures)

E

eosophobiac

I got to see it last night - YAY! (Forgive my enthusiasm, I'm a relatively new star gazer.) After reorienting myself a bit, I located it. I got a bit of a kink in my neck from looking at it so high overhead, but thoroughly enjoyed myself. I hope I have to chance to see it a bit more, before it's gone. I use binoculars, since I don't have a telescope (yet! I was advised to start small, and they seem to be working out for me for now.) Anyway, just wanted to share that I had indeed located/viewed the comet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.