Question Communication Satellites Crowding the LEO. Do we have a better option ?

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
I am lately so engrossed in reading about the SpaceX and Project Kuiper missions. These organizations have the visionary that will take us to a new world. Although, the satellite based internet technology is promising, the two main concerns are cluttering of lower earth orbit (LEO) and the cost of launch and infrastructure. For higher bandwidth and faster data transfer speeds, it is required to have as many satellites in the LEO. SpaceX is already estimated to launch 42,000 satellites by 2022. Amazon is competing to start with launching 3,200 satellites soon. There is a fair chance of crowding, leading to collisions. Also, the lifespan of these satellites is around 5-7 years. That means, a new satellite needs to be launched every 5-7 years to replace the old one. The cost of all this is a whole different discussion.

I am not a space engineer, so my knowledge is minimal here. Having worked in IT and product management, we always think about replicating products or amplify the outcome of a product. I was wondering isn't there any technology that can replicate a satellite or amplify the effect of it to such extent that the number of satellites can be reduced.

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
So why companies such as SpaceX and Amazon not using this technique ? Do we have the an orbit as close as 20 km from earth. I think the lowest is LEO, which is 160 km from earth.

Latest posts