Considerations for polar orbit launching sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cl10k

Hello^^

The title basically says it already.

Which latitude would be optimal for starting into polar orbits?

My first thoughts are:

You don't need the additional Delta_V you gain from a equatorial launch site and also you would need a fuel consuming maneuver to change inclination

Usually you would like to start/flyover an unpopulated area , which means that a latitude of 70° with a flight in northern direction would be ok (like Plessetzk in Russia) OR you fly in southern direction over the south atlantic/pacific (like Vandenberg)

Those are simple considerations but I ask myself if I missed something more important related to orbital mechanics.
What about earth's own rotation speed - is it a problem for launches into a polar orbit? Would a launch side near the poles maybe optimal?

Thanks in advance

cl10k
PS: I hope I made myself clear - you can easily read that I'm no native speaker, so please bear with me :)

B

bdewoody

I have a feeling that the biggest consideration for selecting a site to launch rockets into a polar orbit would be a safe down range corridoor in case of a failure of the booster stage. I doubt that latitude would influence the amount of energy required to achieve orbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts