Could life return on a terraformed mars?

Nov 27, 2020
Visit site
Probably some dumb questions sorry.. but I was thinking about some of those big IFs.. in that IF there was previously life on mars then what would happen IF future humans were successful in warming up the planet and either importing or generating the necessary amounts of water and gasses to create earth life atmosphere conditions.

The planet is now warm and wet.. there's rain pouring down on the ancient soil.. would anything happen/grow?

I get the impression that most of mars is sterile due to the it's current condition.. so absolutely nothing would happen.

However presumably the polar ice caps would melt and IF there was life previously there there may be some interesting biological matter frozen in its depths although something from millions of years ago would be more fossilized than frozen.. so once again nothing would happen other than maybe some really badly smelling mud lol.

So presumably for anything to grow we'd have to introduce it.. if any alien/martian bacteria has survived in the ice or depths of its subsurface caves then how would earth based plants and trees interact with them.. would it change our plants in any noticeable ways?

It's all brain fart I know but I'm curious to see what some of the big brains around here say on whats possible.. whats not etc..

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Probably some dumb questions sorry.. but I was thinking about some of those big IFs.. in that IF there was previously life on mars then what would happen IF future humans were successful in warming up the planet and either importing or generating the necessary amounts of water and gasses to create earth life atmosphere conditions.

The planet is now warm and wet.. there's rain pouring down on the ancient soil.. would anything happen/grow?

I get the impression that most of mars is sterile due to the it's current condition.. so absolutely nothing would happen.

However presumably the polar ice caps would melt and IF there was life previously there there may be some interesting biological matter frozen in its depths although something from millions of years ago would be more fossilized than frozen.. so once again nothing would happen other than maybe some really badly smelling mud lol.

So presumably for anything to grow we'd have to introduce it.. if any alien/martian bacteria has survived in the ice or depths of its subsurface caves then how would earth based plants and trees interact with them.. would it change our plants in any noticeable ways?

It's all brain fart I know but I'm curious to see what some of the big brains around here say on whats possible.. whats not etc..

If you say that when it would be a large atmosphere on Mars, the polar caps would melted and oceans would appeared, then first of all it will be necessary to populate these oceans with our algae, which will create oxygen. In addition, it will be necessary to renew the magnisphere of Mars, since without it life will not be able to settle on the planet. But after all, the climate is a very complex thing and it is not created in one decade.

Reactions: IG2007
Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
I don`t think so. Mars` environment is very harsh and I don`t assume that it would be possible to change it artificially. This environment is very difficult to be changed)
And I don't think that an amount of water which was fount on mars would influence.

Last edited:
Reactions: IG2007
Nov 3, 2020
Visit site

I think that if scientists find a way to get people to Mars, they will be able to solve the problem of colonizing this planet. I think everything is possible, but it takes time and huge investments. Space exploration is the most financially costly industry, and there is no maximum guarantee that everything will go as planned. Although technology is improving. It has already come to the point that parts of the carrier can be reused, and this is a significant savings and the opportunity to invest the savings in creating other technical wonders.

Latest posts