Could there be frozen moss or primative bacteria inthe proverbial moonice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hendrixfan

I think that it's quite possible that a chunk of space rock carrying frozen water from a planet at one point in time supporting life, even mars, could've carried it to our sheild-like moon. It could've been part of a small chain of asteroids from the martian impact (although more likely, not neccessarily Mars) and provided the moon existed in a similar state at the time of the impacts, carried another asteroid to earth giving it life. I'm not very knowledgable on the subject, however.

H

hendrixfan

The subject WAS the moon, and because so many theorists considered that that could've been the way earth attained life, I considered it to be more likely, if life existed now or in the past, that it came with the asteroid that struck earth. Asteroids DO come in groups at times, as you know. I do agree though, that water ice probably doesn't exist nor does life, I was just throwing that out there.

I

igorsboss

Ok, let's say that's true.<br /><br />I assert that such a rock would be extremely rare.<br />How do you propose we find it?<br /><br />First, you need a planet teeming with life, (rare)<br />then you need an impact large enough to accelerate a rock to escape velocity, (rare)<br />without vaporizing it, (rare)<br />so that it still contains recognizable life, (rare)<br />then that rock needs to impact the moon, (rare)<br />without vaporizing on impact, (rare)<br />then we need a moonshot (rare)<br />which identifies the rock (rare).<br /><br />So, I'd say the chances are about 1 in rare to the 8th power that we could find it on the moon.<br /><br />However, if a similar rock landed on Earth, it could have seeded life here. See www.panspermia.org<br />

H

hendrixfan

I think that I didn't make myself as clear as possible. When I said that "I think it's quite possible" I meant just that. I never said that I thought it was probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.