"Da Vinci Code" To Open At Cannes

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

serak_the_preparer

You know, that's pretty funny. : )<br /><br />You may enjoy this comment from the blogosphere...<br /><br />Seriously, I've been meaning to post something on the book/movie hoopla for awhile now. But I thought it should go to this forum.<br /><br />Some of the beliefs to be found in any religion, viewed from the outside, cause a skeptical eyebrow to be raised. It's a bit like that Stephen Hawking anecdote from <i>A Brief History of Time</i> (paraphrased):<br /><br /><i>At the end of a lecture describing the relationships between Earth, the Sun and the galaxy, an astronomer was confronted by an old lady at the back of the hall. She stood up and declared, 'Complete rubbish! The world is a flat saucer resting on the back of a tortoise.'<br /><br />The astronomer, smiling indulgently, inquired, 'And what is the tortoise resting on?'<br /><br />'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' the old lady retorted, 'but it's turtles all the way down!'</i><br /><br />The original story allegedly involves Thomas Huxley explaining evolution, but ends the same with 'turtles all the way down.' On that subject, an interesting statement on faith: Turtles all the way down by Gordon Atkinson (The Christian Century). Bertrand Russell's response (as given in <i>Why I Am Not a Christian</i>): The assumption that there always must be a cause behind everything leaves open the problem of what causes God - essentially the same problem posed by asking what supports the tortoise supporting the world.<br /><br />I don't think it's turtles all the way down.<br /><br />These questions, if not obviously absurd when first asked, become patently absurb upon any serious examination. A person will claim to be open to scientific knowledge (evolution, astronomy, etc.) while also claiming faith in the most fundamental

Status
Not open for further replies.