Dark City too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

I borrowed this movie from my brother but so far I haven't been able to follow it. Maybe I've got too many pain killers in me right now.

N

neuvik

I thought it was a cool movie.

Essentially horrible alien creatures with powerful psi abilities(what they call tuning) abducted humans in some long forgotten time and placed them on a city in space. The aliens are dying, and searching for a cure in what the believe is the human soul. So they forced a doctor/psychologist to aid them; somebody who knew what humans were about, an artist. The aliens focus their abilities on a giant device and puts all the humans asleep, and can change the physical makeup of the city. The scientist is spared the sleep, and forced to engineers scenarios and memories for the other humans.

Our hero somehow awoke during one of these events where he was going to be engineered as a serial killer who is stalking the streets in the backstory. However he knocked the syringe (Memories apparently can be directly added to the brain...and enough pressure from a human hand can force it to pierce the cranium..I dunno) and scarred the traitor.
Then he goes on a quest to find out what has been happening, (he awoke next to the dead lady, so thats prompts his search to find out what has been going on). He eventually runs afoul of the aliens....who use our dead as vessels, and during the fight he somehow manages to tune like the aliens, killing some.

The horrible aliens are not amused by this. They seek the doctor an are angered by this new evolution in humanity, but the doctor convinces them that our hero might be what they are looking for. The aliens are amused with that, and charge him to capture our hero.

Some discoveries are made, our hero finds out the place is always dark because the aliens don't like sun light, and then he gets captured. fortunately the traitorous doctor has a change of heart; the aliens plan to inject their collective minds in to our hero so that they might live eternally. This requires em to all chant at their horrible machine for some reason and they have the doctor implant the collective. But the doctor tricks them....and instead injects a whole montage of resovle and tuning strengthening talk along with some precalculus.

Our hero emerges this psi wielding master, and is a whole lot powerful than the horrible aliens. He is not amused by their antics and proceeds to just wreck up the place but tearing apart their tuning focusing machine, causing the ceiling to fall down in huge chunks crushing a bunch of worthless alien scum...and huge spikes to shoot out of the ground. He engages the alien leader and in a terrific psi battle causes his head to pop....proving once and for all humans rule over horrible aliens.

Then our hero turns the entire floating city towards the sun, and installs beachfront property at the edge of the city...drastically increasing the property value of the cruddy inner city apartments that align it.

D

docm

IMO one of the best Sci-Fi films of the last 20 years, and worth seeing in the directors cut form too. Jennifer Connelly isn't too bad to look at either :)

B

bdewoody

Well now I don't have to watch it. hehe But maybe I will since I don't have try to figure out what the hell is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts