Dead Heat For Galileo Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zavvy

<b>Dead Heat For Galileo Companies </b><br /><br />LINK<br /><br />The two consortia that want to run Europe's new satellite navigation system could not be separated in the latest round of the bidding process. <br /><br />It was expected a winner would emerge on Tuesday to capture the multi-billion euro contract to operate Galileo. <br /><br />But the two groups, iNavSat and Eurely, will now have further negotiations with the Galileo Joint Undertaking, the body set up to award the concession. <br /><br />Galileo will work alongside the US Global Positioning System (GPS). <br /><br />It will be both compatible and interoperable with the American constellation, improving the accuracy and reliability of navigation and timing signals received across the planet. <br /><br />The venture is also expected to create more than 100,000 jobs in related industries across the European Union. <br /><br />The test satellites are already under construction and the first spacecraft is expected to be launched on a Russian Soyuz rocket before the end of the year. <br /><br />Improved bids <br /><br />"I have decided to invite both consortia for parallel negotiations on the concession contract," said Rainer Grohe, executive director of the Galileo Joint Undertaking, in a statement. <br /><br />"I am convinced that this decision will prove the most beneficial for the public and I envisage that within the next three months, it will become clear with whom the GJU will continue the final negotiations." <br /><br />Media speculation across Europe on Tuesday had both consortia winning the concession outright. But the true outcome was a dead heat. <br /><br />The GJU, set up by the European Commission and the European Space Agency to manage the system's development phase, took the view that there was "very little difference" between the rival bids. <br /><br />Transport Commissioner, Jacques Barrot, said further discussions could only benef

Status
Not open for further replies.