Did anyone see this near Boston tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phaze

My co-worker just arrived at work and said about 10:30pm - 10:45pm (just south of Boston) she was walking her dog... heard a whissshing noise and looked over her head and saw what she called a "green comet" about the size of her fist flying across the sky.<br /><br />It's foggy out, but she is sure it wasn't a flare or any type of firework as it was far too high.<br /><br />She said it moved across the sky and downard, then burned itself out after she watched it for about 5 seconds. It's somewhat hazy out and that's what she thinks was causing the green color.<br /><br /><br /><br />

H

heyscottie

That sounds like a Bolide to me! A Bolide is just a bright meteor that may explode, produce a fireball, or strike the earth.<br /><br />At times people have reported hearing sounds along with meteor events, though I forget the explanation for this effect.<br /><br />It may have been a latecomer in the Perseid meteor shower, which is now on the wane, or may have been an "unaffiliated" meteor, as well.

Y

yevaud

Nope. I live in Allston, and haven't heard a word. Nothing in the press that I've read, either. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

MeteorWayne, purleeeze, you might know what this was???<br /><br />Interesting.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

P

phaze

It was seen from a dog park in Marshfield... so a little bit away from the city.<br /><br />Funny part of the story is she says "normally the park is full of people, even at this time of night... so I looked around to see if someone else saw it and of course nobody is around."<br /><br />I'm jealous. Never seen anything more remarkable than your run of the mill "shooting star." <br /><br />** Was just reading about bolides. I bet that is what it was. After I made the original post, she described the noise she head as "static" and said that was what actually caught her attention and made her look up in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts