Do you have any theories on Dark Energy and Dark Matter?

• Thread starter Eaglesindiana459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eaglesindiana459

Dark energy and dark matter has been labeled as nearly impossible to detect ever since scientists first realized that much of our universe was "missing". I think we are looking in the wrong places, and we will never be able to detect these anomalies by just sitting around and trying to let the forces come to us. We have to go to them, if you may. I believe we will be able to detect these forces by thoroughly scanning dwarf galaxies, the stars that these galaxies contain came directly from the first generation of stars after the birth of the universe occurred. So technically we would be scanning the second generation or children of the fore father stars. These second generation stars are still burning today because they are much more long lived then our third and fourth generation stars. This is where I believe we will be able to detect the presence of dark energy and dark matter.

O

origin

I believe we will be able to detect these forces by thoroughly scanning dwarf galaxies, the stars that these galaxies contain came directly from the first generation of stars after the birth of the universe occurred.

Are you sure about that? Some of the oldest stars around seem to be globular culsters in our own galaxy. And the LMC and SMC are dwarf satelite galaxies of our own and I don't think that they have a population of stars that are older than our galaxy.

H

HiGh_GuY

yeah, my theory, is dark matter is some messy stuff.... i just done refuling my dark matter engine, and some got on my face...now it won't come off :eek:

haha...j/k but for real... they call it dark MATTER.... but we can't find, see, or touch it.... isn't matter physical? so we should be able to touch it...if we could ever find it. And also...if dark matter is really a form of matter.... then there should also be anit-darkmatter... cuz all matter has anti matter, or at least it did before most, if not all anti-matter got anhilated right after the big bang.

Maybe dark matter is Hawkings radiation. just an unidentifiable matter soup.

But I think if we are ever able to manipulate gravity and build a true antri gravity machine...we will somehow need to harness the effects of dark matter.

I can't wait until they turn on the Large Hadron Collider this spring/summer...maybe it will produce some dark matter... or create a bunch of mini blackholes that will swallow the earth and spit us out the corresponding whitehole in a different universe.... :twisted: know one knows what will happen

D

DrRocket

Eaglesindiana459":16o9dxya said:
Dark energy and dark matter has been labeled as nearly impossible to detect ever since scientists first realized that much of our universe was "missing". I think we are looking in the wrong places, and we will never be able to detect these anomalies by just sitting around and trying to let the forces come to us. We have to go to them, if you may. I believe we will be able to detect these forces by thoroughly scanning dwarf galaxies, the stars that these galaxies contain came directly from the first generation of stars after the birth of the universe occurred. So technically we would be scanning the second generation or children of the fore father stars. These second generation stars are still burning today because they are much more long lived then our third and fourth generation stars. This is where I believe we will be able to detect the presence of dark energy and dark matter.

Dark energy and dark matter are not necessarily impossible to detect, but rather seem to be difficult to SEE. There is quite a difference. They simply do not seem to be emitting or absorbing electromagnetic radiation or at least not any that we have been able to detect. But the electromagnetic spectrum is not the only way of detecting something.

However, their effects on gravity are quite detectable. The effect of dark matter in gravitational lensing has been detected. The gravitational effect of dark matter on matter in the outer portions of rotating galaxies is in fact the reason that its existence was first hypothesized.

The effect of dark energy, or equivalently a cosmological constant, on the expansion of the universe as governed by genereal relativity is the very reason for the hypothesis of dark energy.

The problem with dark "stuff" is not an inability to detect it, but rather an inablility to describe in detail the properties of the "stuff' and thereby classify it. We don't know what it is and therfore have some doubts as to its existence. But there is no difficulty whatever in detecting the effect that is basis for hypothesis of the existence of this "stuff". It doesn't fit neatly into our current physical models, and it is likely the models that will require revision.

J

jumbojames

Has any one considered that dark matter and black holes are connected to each other? Consider a black hole as a water balloon filling up with matter and light . and when you squeeze a water balloon it bulges out on sides of your hand. what if dark matter is a black hole bulging into our dimension but cant be seen or measured because it can't escape from the water balloon or dimension, or could it be that it is the other side of a black hole? could dark matter be what comes from compaction of time space and light together?

Q

quantumnumber

Some say that dark matter might be made of either supersymmetric particles or axions.

S

Saiph

Dark matter: Isn't just Molecular Hydrogen. We can detect some amounts of hydrogen using the 21cm line. Using that we can make estimates as to how much is out there...and while cold hydrogen clouds can make up some of the 'missing mass' indicated by the strange galactic rotation curves, it isn't even close to enough.

It isn't black holes either, at least not entirely, as we can also estimate how many of those are out there, and we don't get enough. Sorry to say Jumbo, but there is no indication that they have any extra effects like you describe.

In both cases, the only way cold hydrogen or black holes can be a major part of the 'dark matter' component is if our estimates are grossly erroneous.

L

lukman

Eaglesindiana459":3ftukeli said:

Those dark stuff cant be direct detected because it is transmitting energy in a frequency nothing in our range, i think it has a very low energy frequency, 0.00000...1 Hz and it is working at a larger scale when interacts with matter, so that the interaction with normal matter is only at an inter galactic scale.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

Good afternoon all,

I was doing a little browsing around on the net today, and came across this intriguing paper from Advance In Astronomy Magazine on Dark Energy and the current ongoing experiments. Thought I would share it with you. The article is entitled Possible measurable effects of dark energy in rotating superconductors:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/aa/aip.931920.pdf

I have to say, I liked the below idea very much as it explains a lot in reference to how Dark Energy is believed behave.

In Beck and Mackey’s model [6] dark energy
couples to superconducting matter only (and not to matter in the normal
state). This is theoretically consistent: If we assume that dark energy can
interact with superconducting matter only, we do not get any contradiction
from cosmological observations, since almost all of the matter in the universe
is not in a superconducting state. Given the above assumption of a possible
interaction between dark energy and superconducting matter one can then
constrain the interaction strength by making precision measurements with
superconducting devices.

M

michaelmozina

Saiph":104gn716 said:
Dark matter: Isn't just Molecular Hydrogen.

Probably not all of it. One wonders though when reading that paper whether it might have "some" influence?

It isn't black holes either, at least not entirely, as we can also estimate how many of those are out there, and we don't get enough.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... asses.html

Well, it's clear that we can and have underestimated the size of the core of galaxies, but of course this is a relatively minor factor in the total mass of a galaxy. Might it's rotation speed also be 'underestimated" and thereby have some affect on the rotation patterns? I don't really know. It seems to me like there could be "a lot" of various influences involved. I would say that it's premature to make too many assumptions about the accuracy of the original estimations and there must indeed be a logical explanation out there somewhere. :)

R

ramparts

I haven't got any theories on dark matter/energy myself (get back to me on that after I've gone through a few years of grad school ;) ), but to the OP, very good idea about dwarf galaxies! In fact, these galaxies are HIGHLY dark-matter dominated (they're hundreds or even thousands of times dimmer than we'd expect given their masses), and some of the cutting edge research in dark matter is happening there at the moment. Compared to other sources for testing dark matter "testing" (e.g. direct detection, gravitational lensing, etc.), it seems to me that dwarf galaxies have some of the highest quantity of information that a) can be detected in the very near future and b) have yet to be fully probed. How these galaxies form, how many form, and other questions can be examined through computer simulations; these galaxies provide easy targets for our gamma ray space telescopes to search for signals of dark matter annihilation; the list goes on.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I wonder if this means Dark Energy would have some sort of electrical impulse, or a close resemble of it.

R

ramparts

xXTheOneRavenXx":r1qrbyya said:
I wonder if this means Dark Energy would have some sort of electrical impulse, or a close resemble of it.

If what means that? There's no evidence that there's any sort of electricity associated with dark matter, and it's hard to imagine how there would be. Electric force is associated with particles, like electrons, and most theories (all that I know of) don't have the dark energy as being made up of particles.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

What I meant to say, I wonder if since Dark Energy may be detectable with superconducting matter present, then would Dark Energy be detectable with an electric impulse? I am assuming by the article I quoted that the reason for superconducting matter possible making Dark Energy detectable is because of some sort of present electrical current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts