Question Do you think that there are Earths out side of our Solar System?

Do you think that there are Earths out side of our Solar System?

• Total voters

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
I take alternate to be the result of choice. Once the choice is made, that becomes the "real" Universe. Other alternatives did not happen.

That is just my understanding. Perhaps it is another case of prefacing comments with definitions.

Cat :)

Reactions: Connor
May 3, 2021
Visit site
Yes. The amount of stars similar to our sun is too high for there not to be at least one other Earth. An astrophysicist once said "For there to be this much space in the Universe, and no life but mankind, what a waste of space." It's the same with Earth. *if I misquoted, please let me know*

May 1, 2021
Visit site
Yes. The amount of stars similar to our sun is too high for there not to be at least one other Earth. An astrophysicist once said "For there to be this much space in the Universe, and no life but mankind, what a waste of space." It's the same with Earth. *if I misquoted, please let me know*
I've said on other forums that the purpose may have preceded the universe. That purpose would be for the evolution of life. Otherwise, the universe would have been a colossal waste of real estate, never to be discovered, utilized, or explored. That is why I can't believe the universe is completely mechanical and that life is accidental. I'm not the least bit religious, but I'm on the fence as far as intelligent design is concerned.

Catastrophe

"That is why I can't believe the universe is completely mechanical and that life is accidental."

We are smaller than a speck of dust in the Universe. We do not know yet that life exists outside Earth, but I would guess multiple trillions to one that it does. But we don't yet know. To suggest that our "life" is somehow infused into the Universe (please correct me if I have misunderstood you) is rather anthropocentric, to say the least. But, who knows, you may be right. It is certainly an interesting idea.

May 1, 2021
Visit site
Agreed. They won't be exactly earths, but there are different "earths"
I expect the most intelligent life forms on most earth-like planets to be similar to us with 2 arms with hands and 2 legs with feet. Although there are so many different species on Earth that bear little resemblance to us, especially aquatic species, the most intelligent land creatures evolved in a similar way and developed hands and feet as they became more intelligent.

May 1, 2021
Visit site
"That is why I can't believe the universe is completely mechanical and that life is accidental."

We are smaller than a speck of dust in the Universe. We do not know yet that life exists outside Earth, but I would guess multiple trillions to one that it does. But we don't yet know. To suggest that our "life" is somehow infused into the Universe (please correct me if I have misunderstood you) is rather anthropocentric, to say the least. But, who knows, you may be right. It is certainly an interesting idea.

I see the universe as a matrix. I question whether or not it was created by an intelligent energy we are unable to comprehend. I don't believe in a personal god but I can't believe life is accidental, either. So, I'll just keep sitting on the fence despite the discomfort of these damn pickets.

Catastrophe

I see the universe as a matrix. I question whether or not it was created by an intelligent energy we are unable to comprehend. I don't believe in a personal god but I can't believe life is accidental, either. So, I'll just keep sitting on the fence despite the discomfort of these damn pickets.
Well, I have to agree with much of that. I do disagree with any idea of intelligent creation. I don't know whether you are aware of my idea, but it suggests a cyclic Universe with no beginning and no end, hence no intelligent creation.

Catastrophe

"Intelligent life forms on some planets could be reptilian, but I expect any reptile intelligent enough to manufacture things to have developed hands and feet."

Ah! OK. I must have misunderstood that they need not be humanoid. Hands and feet are OK but not necessarily the same number of digits.

May 1, 2021
Visit site
Well, I have to agree with much of that. I do disagree with any idea of intelligent creation. I don't know whether you are aware of my idea, but it suggests a cyclic Universe with no beginning and no end, hence no intelligent creation.

Reality, which is everything in existence, has no beginning or end. We don't know how complex reality is, how many dimensions there are, how big a percentage of reality our universe is. whether or not there are other universes similar to or vary different from ours, or how complex the cycles of this universe are. It may not be a simple expansion and contraction like some believe. We also don't know if there is an intelligent force of energy within reality capable of thinking a universe like ours into existence.

Still, the question that may remain unanswered forever is this: Did the purpose precede the universe? We do know the universe has a worthy purpose - for the evolution of life. If not for life, the universe would be a colossal waste of real estate with no real purpose other than to exist simply for the purpose of existing.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

" Did the purpose precede the universe? We do know the universe has a worthy purpose - for the evolution of life."

Well, I respect your opinion, but I think this "purpose" thing is rather anthropocentric. We are so hung up on what we want to happen that we assume everything works like this.

Remember "our" matter is less than 5% of the observable universe (small u) and dark matter/energy account for the rest. For all we know there might be totally different "life" there.

May 1, 2021
Visit site
" Did the purpose precede the universe? We do know the universe has a worthy purpose - for the evolution of life."

Well, I respect your opinion, but I think this "purpose" thing is rather anthropocentric. We are so hung up on what we want to happen that we assume everything works like this.

Remember "our" matter is less than 5% of the observable universe (small u) and dark matter/energy account for the rest. For all we know there might be totally different "life" there.

The 'purpose' thing is rather metaphysical. We can't explain the existence of consciousness or whether or not it transcends the laws of physics as we know them. What's really puzzling physicists is quantum mechanics. How can electrons be forced to behave like particles instead of waves just by observing them? Mind over matter or mind over energy? if that's the case, why can't an intelligent form of energy exist and why can't it think a universe into existence? How can entangled particles immediately communicate with each other, no matter how far apart they are? That defies the speed of light. We know so little and are in no position to conclude that the energy within reality is either completely mechanical or contains an intelligent force capable of unimaginable feats. Too many astrophysicists focus on the mechanics of this universe and neglect what may be a greater, multi-dimensional reality. I can understand that because it's beyond our grasp and may always be.

There may be different life forms in universes with different properties than our universe, if there are such things. As far as this universe goes, the theme is duplication. All the stars and planets are made of the same elements and that makes me believe life on other planets isn't that much different from ours because it likely formed from DNA programmed to adapt to its surroundings as it evolves into many life forms.

Latest posts