Does ISS have a room for lounging?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PistolPete

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It appears the Cupola was mainly intended as an observation area for watching Earth and sort a command post for Roboarms, EVA'ers and incoming vehicles. <br /> Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV></p><p>From what I understand, the cupola is still going up.&nbsp; It will be attached to Node 3 which will serve as the ad-hoc hab module.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>From what I understand, the cupola is still going up.&nbsp; It will be attached to Node 3 which will serve as the ad-hoc hab module.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by PistolPete</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I hope your right Pete. Though I thought I read somewhere that it had been canned as there was not enough STS missions left to get everything up there.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;I hope your right Pete. Though I thought I read somewhere that it had been canned as there was not enough STS missions left to get everything up there.&nbsp; <br />Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV></p><p>AFAIK the cupola is still scheuled for STS-132.</p><p>As for being cramped the ISS has, with Columbus and the JLM, a pressurised volume of 680 cubic metres, not including the ATV.&nbsp; That is considerably more than any previous spacecraft.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Q

qso1

<p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISS_assembly_sequence</p><p>Looks like its still scheduled tho no date has been set yet.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

B

brandbll

What do the astronaughts do for fun while on the ISS?&nbsp; Play cards? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What do the astronaughts do for fun while on the ISS?&nbsp; Play cards? <br />Posted by brandbll</DIV></p><p>I bet looking out the windows is one of the highlights....</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Q

qso1

<p><font color="#800080">What do the astronaughts do for fun while on the ISS?&nbsp; Play cards? <br /> Posted by brandbll</font></p><p>Wouldn't be a bit surprised if they spend time palying cards. Also reading, listening to CDs probably. Don't know if they watch DVDs but they probably do. Then mixed crews (Male and female) may well...I'll leave that one to the imagination.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

F

fractionofadot

<p><strong>If there was a need identified for adding an area for the crew to relax, or get some quiet time in, would one (or more) of the Multi-Purpose Logistics Modules suffice?</strong></p><p>There are three of them and they'll be retired with the space shuttle.</p><p>Would they have the necessary tolerances to stay in space for a protracted period of time instead of the length of an STS mission? </p><p>&nbsp;They're pretty damn spacious... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Yuri_Gidzenko_ISS_Leonardo_Module.jpg </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

Cygnus_X_1

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If there was a need identified for adding an area for the crew to relax, or get some quiet time in, would one (or more) of the Multi-Purpose Logistics Modules suffice?There are three of them and they'll be retired with the space shuttle.Would they have the necessary tolerances to stay in space for a protracted period of time instead of the length of an STS mission? &nbsp;They're pretty damn spacious...&nbsp; <br /> Posted by fractionofadot</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Over $20 million per to convert them.&nbsp; NASA just said no recently &nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tadpoletriker

<p>&nbsp;The <em>Donatello </em>Module seems to have extra power buss. Hvac and power are already built in the modules. Think one eatra contingecy mission, using the ET for the last LON flight, and the minimum crew needed, flying with extra shielding, and some installed racks. No LON, so if needed crew return would be by Soyez, and Orbiter return using automated using the cable already aboard station. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If there was a need identified for adding an area for the crew to relax, or get some quiet time in, would one (or more) of the Multi-Purpose Logistics Modules suffice?There are three of them and they'll be retired with the space shuttle.Would they have the necessary tolerances to stay in space for a protracted period of time instead of the length of an STS mission? &nbsp;They're pretty damn spacious... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Yuri_Gidzenko_ISS_Leonardo_Module.jpg <br /> Posted by fractionofadot</DIV><br /></p>

C

Cygnus_X_1

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;The Donatello Module seems to have extra power buss. Hvac and power are already built in the modules. Think one eatra contingecy mission, using the ET for the last LON flight, and the minimum crew needed, flying with extra shielding, and some installed racks. No LON, so if needed crew return would be by Soyez, and Orbiter return using automated using the cable already aboard station. &nbsp; <br /> Posted by tadpoletriker</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>It doesn't have the "HVAC", ECS (Environmental control system) is the proper term.&nbsp; It doesn't have the MMOD protection. All the necessary mods are 20 million&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

erioladastra

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What do the astronaughts do for fun while on the ISS?&nbsp; Play cards? Posted by brandbllWouldn't be a bit surprised if they spend time palying cards. Also reading, listening to CDs probably. Don't know if they watch DVDs but they probably do. Then mixed crews (Male and female) may well...I'll leave that one to the imagination.&nbsp; <br />Posted by qso1</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Yep, they play cards.&nbsp; They watch movies (uplinked - we can frequently get cool movies like Star Wars before released etc), do email, read, call on the IP phone.<br /></p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts